Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2004, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Late Night Poker on Fox Sports Net

The NLP set looks really uncomfortable to me. Everybody is so cramped together.

I don't know if anybody say the one last night- but the guy Joe who tried to bluff a bot with 63o, got forced all-in, and rivered a gut shot straight... that was ugly.

My biggest beef with the show is that the editing is such that you don't get any feel for the play. A little too quick, and way too much Jesse May.
Old 03-20-2004, 02:36 PM

My biggest beef is that it becomes an all-in contest. I'm trying to count how many hands weren't all in by the turn, and can't think of any. Which is my least favorite part of tournaments I play in... when its a push-fest and its mainly a matter of getting lucky or not getting unlucky.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:00 PM

Can someone, probably someone british, explain the "hendon mob" to me?
Old 03-20-2004, 03:22 PM

That's a good point. You don't see good poker being played- you're watching people flip coins for money. Not very interesting
Old 03-21-2004, 10:27 AM

Can someone, probably someone british, explain the "hendon mob" to me?

Hendon is an area of North London. As I understand it, Ram Vaswani, Ross and Barney Boatman and Joe Beevers all lived in (or near) Hendon which is why that was the name of their foursome.

Pretty annoying for me, given that my poker friends and I also live in that sort of area, and we have to think of a different name for our mob. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 03-23-2004, 03:37 PM

I hear ya. LNP sux. Don't waste your time. Celebrity poker sux even worse. My home game has more production value (and more skilled card playing). Showdown at the Sands (something like that) was good. Matter of fact, I had just finished reading an article in CardPlayer by Negreanu about loosing at the final table at the Sands, and behold there was the squirrly looking f'er playing on the TV.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Showdown at the Sands (something like that) was good. Matter of fact, I had just finished reading an article in CardPlayer by Negreanu about loosing at the final table at the Sands, and behold there was the squirrly looking f'er playing on the TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I finally caught the Sands episode where Helmuth was "slowrolled" by TJ's flush. Classic Phil moment for sure.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:21 PM

I finally caught the Sands episode where Helmuth was "slowrolled" by TJ's flush. Classic Phil moment for sure.

Absolutely. I just burst out laughing when Phil was still moaning to the cameras later "I know what TJ looks like when he's bluffing. I knew he was bluffing. I've been waiting two years for this opportunity..."

The thing is, if it happened to anyone else, it wouldn't be funny at all.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:45 PM

Celebrity poker was awful, but one moment where i literally spit soda all overmyself and laughed for 20 minutes was when n-sullivan was like "PHIL!! PHIL!! I NEED HELP" and phil gordon goes "god i love to hear her screaming my name"

it almost made the whole series worthwhile
Old 03-23-2004, 06:02 PM

I kinda liked the Celebrity show's. While I didn't learn anything relevant, it still had a certain entertainment value. Plus, since it got some mainstream attention, that is certainly good for the overall game of poker.

I didn't quite get why Phil Gordon was the co-host. Allthough he had some good one-liners, he basically just sounded like he was reading lines that the producers gave him about odds, and who's a favorite and whatnot.

When all the 'losers' were in the green room during the final table episode, and Affleck and Schwimmer came in and said they wanted to start a game right there, and in the background you here Gordon saying, "I want in!". Good stuff.