Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 03:30 PM

Default Re: Attempted voter blackmail?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People should be entitled to disapprove of it without being branded bigots.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Archie Bunker's shoe fits....People who are against this initiative are no less bigots than people who were against school integration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry man, i respect your opinion and all, but i think you are way off the mark.

Mack
Old 09-09-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this situation was reversed and it was a petition in favor of legalizing gay-marriage and those against it used the names on the list to boycott services or publicly brand those as gay on the internet then there would be nothing but outrage from society.

Yet when a gay person uses this to discriminate against someone else against gay-marriage then everything is fine and dandy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats it. It's completely unreasonable.

Mack
Old 09-09-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If this situation was reversed and it was a petition in favor of legalizing gay-marriage and those against it used the names on the list to boycott services or publicly brand those as gay on the internet then there would be nothing but outrage from society.

Yet when a gay person uses this to discriminate against someone else against gay-marriage then everything is fine and dandy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Liberals are allowed to be bigoted against marriage, and they are allowed to be racist. Didn't you get the memo?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i think you are way off the mark.

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?
Old 09-09-2005, 06:45 PM

I think this is an outrageous statement, based only on supposition.
First, it wouldn't intimidate the majority of the gay population. Most of them are proud of what they do and who they are, despite condemnation from the fundie crowd. Secondly, you don't have to be gay to be pro equal rights.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not think a lot of people who object to Gay Marriages do so on religious grounds? To blanket cast them as bigots just because you disagree with them seems quite narrow minded to me. Maybe you are suggesting that all people who follow their respective faith rigidly are bigots, my guess is you aren't trying but that is effectively what you are saying.

Mack
Old 09-09-2005, 08:00 PM

Default Re: Only if the signatories are appropriately ashamed

The roving gay gangs bust into your house in the middle of the night and rearrange all your furniture.
Old 09-09-2005, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you not think a lot of people who object to Gay Marriages do so on religious grounds? To blanket cast them as bigots just because you disagree with them seems quite narrow minded to me. Maybe you are suggesting that all people who follow their respective faith rigidly are bigots, my guess is you aren't trying but that is effectively what you are saying.

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because a certain belief is a tenet of a given religion does not mean that it is not also bigoted.

As an example, I am a Catholic. The Catholic Church does not allow women to be priests. Although this is a belief of the Church, it also happens to be, by definition, sexist.

IMO, anyone who follows this tenet without vocally expressing disagreement is also, to some extent, a bigot.

<disclaimer> I am not trying to speak for MtSmalls (who's posts I have a lot of respect for). This is solely my own opinion.
Old 09-10-2005, 04:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How so?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mack

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because a certain belief is a tenet of a given religion does not mean that it is not also bigoted.

As an example, I am a Catholic. The Catholic Church does not allow women to be priests. Although this is a belief of the Church, it also happens to be, by definition, sexist.

IMO, anyone who follows this tenet without vocally expressing disagreement is also, to some extent, a bigot.

<disclaimer> I am not trying to speak for MtSmalls (who's posts I have a lot of respect for). This is solely my own opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do think Catholics are guilty of bigotry, however I suspect most of them would disagree. They have their own illogical reasons for not finding homosexual marriages acceptable, for me what people decide to do in their own time makes no odds.

If you wish to be married or whatever in a church it makes sense to expect to have to follow the teachings of that church to a certain degree, homosexuals by default cannot do this, so i see no reason for them to expect a church to bless their partnership. I don't see why they need it, except to prove some childish point, no one cares what they do, except for a few idiots.

Mack
Old 09-10-2005, 05:18 AM

Default Re: Only if the signatories are appropriately ashamed

I too would not want my name published for signing an anti-gay marriage petition. I would be much to ashamed to let the world know that i hold that kind of bigotted viewpoint. I can see why the signers are upset.

When I sign a petition, I believe in it and will shout it from the rooftops.