Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2005, 10:14 AM

Default Re: 88 -- play the set as a vulnerable made hand, or as a draw?

I think I would have cold-called flop, though the folks behind you will probably fold to two bets anyway. Then I'd check raise the turn, quads or no. Even the scariest scare card wouldn't convince me that I'm behind with this board.

That's the confident side of things. If I had been running badly prior to this hand, however, I'd have bet out the flop to begin with.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:30 AM

Default Re: 88 -- play the set as a vulnerable made hand, or as a draw?

[ QUOTE ]
When I flop a set, sometimes I'm not sure whether I should be building the pot or protecting my hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both. When the board is draw-heavy, you need to be more protective. I think this applies most to flops with 2 suits. Bet and raise and charge the draws. That said, you must realize that you have a MASSIVE redraw, with 7 outs on the flop and 10 outs on the turn. In this hand, I think you jam it for value.

[ QUOTE ]
I figured, someone's going to like that flop, so I'll check and see what develops. (I didn't think there was much danger of it getting checked through. Also, although my PT stats don't exactly confirm this, based on my read at the time, I thought there was a good chance BB would bet.)

[/ QUOTE ]

With that flop, if you bet you'll probably get raised, at which time you can 3-bet or go for a c/r on the more expensive turn.