Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2005, 12:23 AM

Default Re: Gay adoption

OK I have decided. It should be left up to the states and prior to the state would need to enact Civil Unions.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:39 AM

I'm pretty conservative when it comes to the "rightness" or "wrongness" or homosexuality. However, I am staunchly opposed to a constitutional amendment banning gay marraige, and I support homosexual couples' right to adopt.
Old 04-24-2005, 06:23 AM

no, but not for any of the obvious reasons.

1. homosexual couples are much less likely to remain in long term relationships thus greatly increasing the chance the child will grow up in a broken home.

2. homosexual couples who adopt are much more likely to be financially very well off and are much more likely to spend that money on luxury items and live in densely populated urban areas. I am of the opinion that raising a child "rich" is one of the worst things one can do for him/her, as is raising a child in an urban environment.

fim
Old 04-24-2005, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
no, but not for any of the obvious reasons.

1. homosexual couples are much less likely to remain in long term relationships thus greatly increasing the chance the child will grow up in a broken home.

2. homosexual couples who adopt are much more likely to be financially very well off and are much more likely to spend that money on luxury items and live in densely populated urban areas. I am of the opinion that raising a child "rich" is one of the worst things one can do for him/her, as is raising a child in an urban environment.

fim

[/ QUOTE ]

Both ridiculous reasons.

According to i) you wouldn't allow blacks to adopt and according to ii) you wouldn't allow Jews to adopt.

Why not just judge each case on its merits?
Old 04-24-2005, 08:51 AM

So you don't think any homosexual couple should be allowed to adopt for said reasons? Isn't that called the 'fallacy of composition?" (Even if your reasons aren't absurd to begin with.)
Old 04-24-2005, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty conservative when it comes to the "rightness" or "wrongness" or homosexuality.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude- you are being very undude.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:15 AM

No. But then again I dont think anyone should be able to adopt.

Adoption should be outlawed in this country as a matter of standard practice and it should only be allowed in very extreme situations. Adoption is a nasty business, which exploits the weak and helpless.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:57 AM

As a libraterian I have always supported gay marraige and gay rights on the grounds that an individual has the freedom to choose whatever path they want. The government has no right to get involved in peoples personal lives.

However, the issue of wether I think being gay is a good thing is an entirely different matter. I'm fairly indifferent on the subject as it doesn't effect me. When the topic of adoption comes up we are talking about a situation in which having gay parents has a profound impact on a childs upbringing. As such it begins to matter if being gay has a positive or negative impact.

In the case of adoption we can assume that the child is already under a great deal of stress. Given the status of homosexuals in our society being adopted into a gay household can only add to that stress. This will effect thier developement in a negative way and it is a fact of life we must live with. It is a reason against gay adoption.

The much more important reason I worry about gay adoption is that I wonder if the child is getting shortchanged. I grew up with a mother and a father. Both of them influenced my developement in a unique way. I think it is healthy for a child to have both a strong masculine and feminine influence during his/her developement. That is one thing a same sex couple can't provide, and a key reason I worry about gay adoption.

Are there some gay parents out there that would be better then some straight parents, of course. I'm sure if you go out and find a very upstanding gay couple they can do a better job then Mr. and Mrs. get divorced 50% of the time. That is why I think gay adoption shouldn't be illegal. However, not everyone is allowed to adopt a child, they must go through a process in which they are evaluated. I think being gay should be a factor in that process and a negative one at that. So that, all things being equal (income, family history, psycological stability, various parenting qualities, etc.) a straight couple will be more likely to adopt a child then a gay couple.

Gay marraige is such an easy question because the choice only effects those involved. With adoption the choice effects other people, most importantly children. As such it becomes societies business.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:44 PM

Hi,
I think I want it to be allowed (I dont't know) but your points are very valid. It provokes me a bit when it is made like a gay rights issue as adoption should be child-centered.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:46 PM

Of course it should be allowed.

Not allowing it would be discrimination.