Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 01:39 PM

Default Re: The Decline and Fall of SDM\'s Bankroll (aka \"I can\'t fold this\")

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
my problem with table selection is i play with too many fish. you need a good mix so you can target playesrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh im gee, double-you tee eff are you talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am simply pointing out that because of the way I play 7 card stud, it is much easier for me to not go on tilt and have great success at tables where everyone is seeing 7 cards.
Old 09-23-2005, 02:13 PM

Default Re: The Decline and Fall of SDM\'s Bankroll (aka \"I can\'t fold this\")

You need to recognize that this is a big hole in your game. Let's take the most extreme game, where the other 7 players all play every hand. Should be a crapshoot, right? Wrong! Because you aren't going to play every hand. You are just going to play strong starters, and you are only going to stay when you improve. Now, in one format of this game the players are passive, they just call. In that format, you can limp any pair, flush draw/high str8 draws and see what happens. You'll sure win some big pots when you hit trips or a flush/straight.

But what if the others are aggressive, and there's alot of raising early with crap? Now you'll have to tighten up a bit to avoid paying too much for hands that don't hold up often enough to justify the big upfront price. So no more low flush draws, maybe no straight draws at all. No split small pairs, maybe no pair that doesn't have at least an overcard kicker to the board (or is itself over the highest board card). This is going to be dull, but boy will you win some gigantor pots.

In real life, most games are a mix and you need to use judgement hand by hand. There are bluffing opportunities even in a loose 2-4 every now and then.

When you understand the dynamics of the game, that you are going to get sucked out on alot, but the pots you win are going to be huge, tilt should become less of an issue. Remember, it's not about winning pots but about winning money.

I had an extreme experience of this playing heads up 2-4 with a player who raised every hand. He won probably 80% of the pots but I won 25BB in about 20 minutes.