Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2005, 02:32 PM

Default Re: chess

[ QUOTE ]
Bishop to g5 does not seem very good. You give up the diagonal this way. You make his bishop better than yours since his is available for defence and pressure on center and both flanks while your can only use to pressure on one flank. I would hit directly at d6 (exchange your medium bishop with his good). He hits with queen. Then you play queen to b5 to try to induce a weakness for future exploitation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This guy is better than me.

He will help you now.

anyone wanna play chess on yahoo?

jchess

i dont know how to change the difficulty. i think you can only change the time limits but im playing on forever time. try it out. im having a tough time but im suckier than suck.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:33 PM

I can't see the kingside attack working out. What about going after the pawn on d5 with your c-pawn?

Caveat: I can only play at about a 1700 level although I see the board a bit better than that. Haven't played in 12 years. Meaning the computer can probably kick my butt.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll play you in about 25 minutes once I finish a sit n go.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll play you in about 25 minutes once I finish a sit n go.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok
Old 08-28-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
new to this chess terminology. one type of piece that has better position than the same type of piece in the control of the opposition is called "good"?

if we did what you suggested cant black just move his a7 pawn up one space and pressure my queen? or is this a weakness in chess that we would induce?

thanks madsen

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes,
if you are new to the game it is difficult to see, but a good placed piece like his bishop, can assist a lot of different futural moves by other pieces, giving him a bigger strategical repertoire than you. It is good placed since it more maneuvral than yours. Thus it is more valuable than yours as well. When you exchange bishops you exchange your one which is less valuable than his (due to position) and thus it is +EV.

If he moves to a6, you move your queen to b3 to keep the pressure on b7 which is weak and thus indirectly on his horce at c6 (which is weak without b7). You also apply pressure towards d5 which is a relatively weak pawn.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bishop to g5 does not seem very good. You give up the diagonal this way. You make his bishop better than yours since his is available for defence and pressure on center and both flanks while your can only use to pressure on one flank. I would hit directly at d6 (exchange your medium bishop with his good). He hits with queen. Then you play queen to b5 to try to induce a weakness for future exploitation.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably better than me, but why not trade the f4 bishop to get rid of his knight protecting d5? All I see d6 bishop attacking is a bunch of squares protected by pawns and I don't mind it so much.

Queen to b5 at some point rocks.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're probably better than me, but why not trade the f4 bishop to get rid of his knight protecting d5? All I see d6 bishop attacking is a bunch of squares protected by pawns and I don't mind it so much.

Queen to b5 at some point rocks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting idea. I thought of bishop g5 as a move intended to put pressure on the king side, but as you point out it can be used to pressure d5. I think it is not good enough though, since he might just use some moves to back up d5 since his bishop will give him a futural advantage.
Old 08-28-2005, 03:11 PM

Actually, Fritz 7 recommends a combination of the two plans being suggested here (1.Bg5 and 1.Bxd6...Qxd6, 2. Qb5). Indeed, Fritz suggested the following:

1. Bg5...Be7
2. Bxf6...Bxf6
3. Qb5...Ne7
4. Qxb7...Rb8
5. Qxa7...Rxb2

This line does seem preferable to the line where white exchanges bishops, since Black's "good" bishop isn't so good after all, especially since it may well be biting on the granite of white's pawn chain for both the near and distant future.