Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2004, 02:44 AM

Default Re: Party 15/30 - AJs

I would like to turn the question around. Suppose you were the BB holding JJ and UTG+1 raised with AK and MP3 only called. How would you play your JJ? If you were UTG+1, you bet, got raised by MP3 and BB folded, should you fold or call it down?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
+.01BB/HD with AQs over ~450 deals sounds leaky to me. are you going to showdown over 60% with that? how are AKs and AJs? i wouldn't consider ATs for the sake of comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]

AKs -- 476 times, went to showdown 50.11, won at showdown 50.

AQs -- 449 times, went to showdown 44.8, won at showdown 47.03.

AJs -- 423 times, went to showdown 47.93, won at showdown 51.89

Overall these three, based on those stats, are all somewhat comparable. Most (say 85-90%) of these numbers come from 6-max games. I know the win at showdowns of these hands seem low to full table players, but there are many successful short handers that win only 50% at showdown. Some of the other comparable big cards are at 55 as well, so big picture this may or may not be a problem of mine (considering 47 for AQs is low...)
Old 06-21-2004, 08:51 AM

Does PT give you your SD for individual hands? If it doesn't automatically, can you filter globally for AJs and then look at your global numbers? I think it's really dangerous to start drawing conclusions about WR without some measure of significance.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would like to turn the question around. Suppose you were the BB holding JJ and UTG+1 raised with AK and MP3 only called. How would you play your JJ? If you were UTG+1, you bet, got raised by MP3 and BB folded, should you fold or call it down?

[/ QUOTE ]

You have total knowlege of another player's cards? Unless you're close to all-in, there's no way you'd lay any hand down, not even 72o (OK, there are a very few exceptions based on his hand and how loose of a caller he is).
Old 06-21-2004, 09:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i don't think you should reraise preflop unless you have a specific read against UTG+1.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is another area where I have some confusion. At some point, I convinced myself that cold calling is only very rarely a good idea. Therefore, when in doubt, I usually reraise. What are the circumstances that determine that a cold call is the correct play?

Also, thanks for the other analysis, especially regarding the river...I definitely think I could save some bets at the end with a hand like this by playing it a bit more passively.

[/ QUOTE ]

suppose you are dealing with a typical or unknown player,

u don't cold call with AJs. u muck AJs to a EP raise. AJ, AT, for that matter as well. muck KQ, KJ, ...

reraise with AA - TT, AK, for the most part. reraise with 99-22 if table is tight and you are desperate [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

cold calling can actually be done with AKs (but why not 3 bet?), QQ - 99, 88 (if u desperate)...

now, only if i play better post-flop...

Kenny
Old 06-21-2004, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
reraise with AA - TT, AK, for the most part. reraise with 99-22 if table is tight and you are desperate

cold calling can actually be done with AKs (but why not 3 bet?), QQ - 99, 88 (if u desperate)...

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I take "desperate" to mean "on tilt"?
Old 06-21-2004, 03:44 PM

There is no way we can know othere people's cards. We play our hand based on the probability what other's could have. Assuming both UTG+1 and MP3 are rational players, If I am the BB, I find it very difficult for me not folding JJ which is the best of hand. If I check, UTG+1 likely will bet and being raised by MP3, and I will not be able to continue. If I bet out, UTG+1 likely will raise me and MP3 will simply call. Depend on the turn action of UTG+1, if he bet I will fold. But if UTG+1 check the turn, MP3 is at great position to bluff and most likely will bet and I probably will have to fold. MP3 cold called raises preflop and flop, AQ or KQ is very likely.
In the second senario of my original post, if I am UTG+1, I will fold 99% of the time.