Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: 1 Limper, It's raised by a TAG in LP and it's folded to you, do you on the button:
Raise 101 55.49%
Call 26 14.29%
Fold 55 30.22%
Voters: 182. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-13-2005, 11:06 AM

Default Re: MOST out of the money in a ROW???

[ QUOTE ]
0.64^22=0.0000544, or 1/18367

[/ QUOTE ]

Look on the bright side.... you're not due for another streak like that for about the next 18,000 tournaments!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Once you get to 17,500 more, I'd just stop playing if I were you.
Old 05-13-2005, 11:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Last night I played ten tournaments, and look at my finishes:

I calculated that I would have a run like that once every ten BILLION hands (.10 * .10 * .10 * .10 * .10 * .10 * .10 * .10 * .10 * .10). Tell me that Party Poker isn't rigged.

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO
Old 05-13-2005, 11:50 AM

I am of the opinion that long stretchs like this, including a 15 of 16 OTM streak i had in jan, are bad luck and bad skill. I analogize it to slumps athletes have. For example, Jeter's long AB streak which he failed to get a hit last year (think it was bet'n 30-40 at bats). he is a career .300 hitter so it is very unlikely that this would ever happen. Sports Illustrated had a good article about slumps last year, with jeter and his streak on the cover, and the psycology of them.

To sum it up very briefly, and from what i remember from a year ago, the author was of the belief that the losing gets into your head and before you know it, you are making little changes/mistakes that prolong the drought. Kindof like a losing begets losing thing.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:53 PM

damn that's a shitty day. How many of these were 55s? (Hopefully all of them). Looks like noone did well yesterday, I'm glad I was only down vig at the bar...
Old 05-13-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Looks like noone did well yesterday

[/ QUOTE ]

I made $800 playing $22s yesterday. You guys suck!!! [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 02:09 PM

.....ring games. GL guys! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-13-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...To sum it up very briefly, and from what i remember from a year ago, the author was of the belief that the losing gets into your head and before you know it, you are making little changes/mistakes that prolong the drought. Kind of like a losing begets losing thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

So true! It's the SnGer's version of tilting. You let a bad suck out.. or three.. effect how you act in the following tournies. Sometimes you stop being as aggressive as you need to be for fear of taking another bad beat.. or you start taking too many unnecessary risks thinking it can't possibly happen to me X times in a row. Basically you deviate for your normal strategy and that's where bad luck leads to bad play.

How many times have you heard "I finished OTM in 24 of 26 today but them placed ITM in the first 5 played the next day" (insert your own numbers there)? Coincidence... maybe but I think it has more to do with SnG tilting. If you have a bad streak, take a break and come back fresh. Never try to "play out of it".
Old 05-13-2005, 02:31 PM

Interesting. I just ran some calcs. If your ITM is 35%, you would expect to go 22 OOTM every 13,059 games, which is probably less than Raptor has played.

Actually at 40% ITM it would be expected every 76,000 games and if you have played as many games as Raptor has played 22 could reasonably just be bad luck and not tilt.

My worst is 15. That was the first time I tried 4 tabling and I know I made a bunch of mistakes.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:38 PM

six is the worst for me...
my own personal rule is after 4 in a row within one day I quit for the day...because i get emotional about it

i also make a habit of sending my hands for those games to my friends so they can verify my plays...sometimes i get a bit skewed and they help me see it
Old 05-13-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The other day I go 0-12 take dinner break have two beers then rol off ten itm's. This game is def streaky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. You've just proven the power of beer.