Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Phil Hellmuth: \"No!\"

From what I can gather, which is only on TV and Cardplayer articles so take that for what it's worth, Phil has taken the wrong aproach to playing in the new larger tournaments.

He's always trying to trap players. He seems to take great pride in it. He's trying to keep pots small and by doing so he always seems to be folding big hands or getting sucked out on by hands that would never be involved if he would have just played it a little more straight forward.

He doesn't seem to have adjusted his game for todays hyper-aggresive games. He expects every player to play ABC poker and that just isn't happening.
Old 01-06-2005, 07:24 PM

Ivey got his stack in once he hit his hand, once it was well-defined.

Hellmuth got sucked out, but there were still 5 cards to be seen. Hellmuth also wasn't so crippled that he wasn't still in the running. And he also wasn't in the money yet either (although I may be wrong about that).

That's not the point, though. The point is that other professionals take it in stride realizing that that's how the game works.

Phil still acts like it's his first year playing and everyone is out to get him.
Old 01-06-2005, 08:33 PM

I like to watch Phil. He makes me laugh all the time. I remember watching the Tournament of Champions where he lost to Annie Duke. He wouldn't stop cursing for like 5 mintues. I couldn't stop laughing.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting that phil is somehow unluckier than other people?

Anyone who wants to can usually bust out of tournaments with the best hand preflop. It's not hard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Paul, I am under Phil's spell and I believe he is the unluckiest player in the world because he says so every five minutes. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Whenever I bust out of a tourney, I'm usually the preflop favorite, and it sure sucks. I guess we just hear from Phil so much more than anyone else that it makes him seem unluckier than most.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
From what I can gather, which is only on TV and Cardplayer articles so take that for what it's worth, Phil has taken the wrong aproach to playing in the new larger tournaments.

He's always trying to trap players. He seems to take great pride in it. He's trying to keep pots small and by doing so he always seems to be folding big hands or getting sucked out on by hands that would never be involved if he would have just played it a little more straight forward.

He doesn't seem to have adjusted his game for todays hyper-aggresive games. He expects every player to play ABC poker and that just isn't happening.

[/ QUOTE ]
Couldn't have said it any better myself. Phil's biggest weakness is his superiority complex. Against Annie Duke in the tournament of champions he layed down some key hands because he believed he was going to catch her eventually. I can't even label Phil Hellmuth as a top ten player today because he hasn't had the success the past few years to be on that list.
Old 01-07-2005, 12:29 AM

He is clearly my idol, I mean, how cant you love a statement like "some just understand the game so poorly"

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-07-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't even label Phil Hellmuth as a top ten player today because he hasn't had the success the past few years to be on that list.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. That's hilarious.

Phil plays fewer tournaments than almost all the "big name" pro's. He also had 5 cashes at the WSOP this year.

Some other fairly recent showings.

$10,000 No Limit Hold'em WPT Event Final Table
2003 World Poker Finals, Mashantucket 3rd $ 281,700

$ 3,000 No Limit Hold'em
34th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2003, Las Vegas
1st $ 410,860

$ 2,500 Limit Hold'em
34th World Series of Poker (WSOP) 2003, Las Vegas
1st $ 171,400
Old 01-07-2005, 01:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Phil plays fewer tournaments than almost all the "big name" pro's.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm so glad to hear you've been recording those statistics because I have often wanted to cite them while authoring various arguments. Would you please post your records? I'd be happy to pay you for the time you've put into it; since you're the only person who actually has this information, I know it must have been a lot of work to collect.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:09 AM

Paul makes me giddy.

Lazy also cause now I'm not going to make the same reply.
Old 01-07-2005, 01:47 AM

Does Phil have any idea how you feel about him? If so I'd love to see you two at the same table some time just to watch you push him over the edge every couple minutes.