Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-20-2005, 11:01 AM

Default Re: $10+$1 Rebuy AK hand

Don't forget this is a rebuy tournament. And even though we're pass the rebuy period they tend to draw more aggressive players who play that way the entire tournament.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget this is a rebuy tournament. And even though we're pass the rebuy period they tend to draw more aggressive players who play that way the entire tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the biggest reason for a call IMO. But when thinking hard about this it really is a tough spot, just because the hand was played in such a bizarre way.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:04 AM

I have a very hard time giving him credit for a better hand on the river here. Your hand is well disguised, and he has no reason to expect a payoff with a monster. It's overwhelmingly likely that he's full of it. Alternatively, he could have a hand like KTs and didn't want to bet the first K. Now he's hoping someone looks him up. I just don't see a set or KJ waiting until the river to pipe up. Also, there is only one K left in the deck. I nearly insta-call on the river.

I also love the turn check. Betting achieves little. It will be hard to get action from a worse hand. Yes you're risking a free turn and a bad river, but I think a lot of times someone stabs at the turn, or pays off with a weak made hand on a brick river.

Kings
Old 07-20-2005, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I also love the turn check. Betting achieves little. It will be hard to get action from a worse hand. Yes you're risking a free turn and a bad river, but I think a lot of times someone stabs at the turn, or pays off with a weak made hand on a brick river.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most weak made hands would just call the river, because they know a push would only be called by a strong king or boat, right?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:16 AM

I just noticed I messed up my last post a little.. Hero raised on the river, and was reraised all in. I think that would support my thoughts even more, though [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

there is a chance he is playing really aggressive... but I guess my whole point is, wait until you get more information on the guy. if he's the aggressive type you will find that out very soon. perhaps even a river check would have been correct in this scenario.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
perhaps even a river check would have been correct in this scenario.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the flop and turn checking around, and the King unlikely to have improved anyone given our hand, it's too likely the river would check around too.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:31 AM

I would reraise him all-in.
He's trying to steal.

Also I would have bet 5xBB after the flop and found out what he had then.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:32 AM

Great first post.

[ QUOTE ]
I would reraise him all-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

He pushed.

[ QUOTE ]

He's trying to steal.

[/ QUOTE ]

How do can you be so sure?

[ QUOTE ]

Also I would have bet 5xBB after the flop and found out what he had then.

[/ QUOTE ]

Say he calls. What does he have?
Old 07-20-2005, 11:45 AM

I'm still relatively new to MTTs but I'll put my two cents worth in hoping that I'll get my thinking straightened out.

I think hero could have avoided alot of this if he made a continuation bet but since he didn't...
I hate the turn check because now you don't know if you confused villain (highly possible)with the check or is he slowplaying the set.
On the river does he push if he has the boat? Or does he milk it for a bet he knows has to be called.Since it looks like he doesn't want the call I call even though if he put me on AK(likely) he may make this move with the nuts.
Old 07-20-2005, 11:57 AM

The range of hands I would put villian on are

AK-TKs
AK-JK,
JJ

Of these, the three pairs, JK, and JKs beat AK. I would hesitate to say that JK is a real possibility because the flop was checked, despite having top pair. The turn really indicates to me that he doesn't have JK as he would likely bet the two pair looking for action from an overpair or a made king.

I do think its possible that this guy is betting all-in on a weaker king, very likely something along the lines of KQ or KT, as I think his flop and turn play make the most sense. He could potentially slowplay 22 or 55. This is a 10 dollar rebuy tournament, not a 10k buyin main event. I can definitely see villain pushing it in. (But not really with junk like TT or 99 at this point.)

So using pokerstove...

I've done the first range, and found that hero's equity is approximately 32%. Pot odds are giving around only 1.5 to 1, when he really needs about 2 to 1 to call. However, let's suggest I step it back and eliminate the KJ hands because it seems very unlikely that villain would check both streets - it really doesn't make much difference, giving our hero only 38% equity. However, this is closer to what we need to call. (We need 40% equity to justify calling 1.5 to 1).

Therefore, I would probably fold. However, I might just call because "Oh well WHAT THE HELL its close anyways."

That being said, I can't really say that the hand was played correctly. I would probably bet out the flop AND the turn. If I'm check-raised or raised, it will be easy to get away on the flop. On the turn, I would have to consider the size of the raise, but it would be MUCH easier to get away from than on the river.