Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Softer games?
it's soooted 23 50.00%
$30+3 7 15.22%
$20+2 16 34.78%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 PM

Default Re: Poll -- What is Hero\'s error in this $33 hand

[ QUOTE ]
I think that your biggest error was getting dealt an underpair to the villain's kings. I'm going to guess that 90% of players go broke on this hand. IMO, not going broke means one of two things:

1) You're a world class player, or
2) You suck at poker.

Especially since you were a little short (695) when the hand started, I just don't see that you have a deep enough stack to get away from this.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL I'd give up jacks in this spot. Does that mean I'm a world class player? Or a poker joke? Niether. If you can't get rid of jacks in this spot you might want to learn why you should. I've laid down Kings when and Aces flops
(NO BIG DEAL, I knew I was beat). You need to make good laydowns to beat SNGs and Poker. Simple as that.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't get rid of jacks in this spot you might want to learn why you should. I've laid down Kings when and Aces flops (NO BIG DEAL, I knew I was beat). You need to make good laydowns to beat SNGs and Poker. Simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huge difference between laying down kings when an ace flops and this scenario. Hero doesn't have enough of a stack to lay down an overpair to this flop.

I'll venture to guess for every "good laydown" you make in spots like this, you're giving up several pots and leaving a lot of money on the table. So when he called pre-flop, what kind of flop should he have been hoping for exactly? Trip jacks?

Sometimes you're just destined to go broke. This hand is one of them.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you can't get rid of jacks in this spot you might want to learn why you should. I've laid down Kings when and Aces flops (NO BIG DEAL, I knew I was beat). You need to make good laydowns to beat SNGs and Poker. Simple as that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huge difference between laying down kings when an ace flops and this scenario. Hero doesn't have enough of a stack to lay down an overpair to this flop.

I'll venture to guess for every "good laydown" you make in spots like this, you're giving up several pots and leaving a lot of money on the table. So when he called pre-flop, what kind of flop should he have been hoping for exactly? Trip jacks?

Sometimes you're just destined to go broke. This hand is one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Absolutely No difference. At best with your jacks your looking at AK, AQ and Donkey KQ. Which are all coin-flips. Not including the QQ-AA which has you already dominated. Why take a risk at such an early stage in the tournament, is my point. No need, what happens if your right, what happens if your wrong.

Right,-You possible could win a good size pot and double up.

--Doesn't mean your guaranteed ITM, doesn't mean anything, except more chips for bubble.

Wrong,-Your Out.

--You lose the tournament. You differently could of got better cards in bubble time, we never know.

BUT I THINK Limping is find UTG. But calling the raise is bad.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:02 PM

To tell you the truth Jacks are just not a good hand. Their medicore 4 or 5 handed. But almost a full table Call/Check/Fold for me.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To tell you the truth Jacks are just not a good hand. Their medicore 4 or 5 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a long time. It's the 4th best hand in poker and should be treated as such.

Hero in this hand started the hand with 690 chips! Not raising is really bad here. Think about all the pots he ends up winning by raising here. He needs chips, raising with the 4th best hand in poker sounds like a good way to get them.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
To tell you the truth Jacks are just not a good hand. Their medicore 4 or 5 handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is one of the most ridiculous things I have read in a long time. It's the 4th best hand in poker and should be treated as such.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to agree that this is totally ridiculous. There's a huge difference between JJ UTG/UTG+1 early at a full or near-full table than with 4-5 people at it.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero in this hand started the hand with 690 chips! Not raising is really bad here. Think about all the pots he ends up winning by raising here. He needs chips, raising with the 4th best hand in poker sounds like a good way to get them.

[/ QUOTE ]

JJ is actually 5th best starting hand.
AA, KK, QQ, AK, JJ...

But tell me what happened if he raises like you want him too, and their is a A or K that flops. Now what?
Old 08-03-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
JJ is actually 5th best starting hand.
AA, KK, QQ, AK, JJ...

[/ QUOTE ]

AK is better than JJ? That's news to me. I'll guarantee you that I've made more money with JJ, but whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
But tell me what happened if he raises like you want him too, and their is a A or K that flops. Now what?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sometimes you get flops you don't like. That's poker. By that logic, I'd fold kings pre-flop just in case an ace is coming.
Old 08-03-2005, 02:15 PM

It seems obvious to me that a 3x raise is justified here for pre-flop informational purposes. So, you raise to 90. K-K probably raised to 270 or goes all-in. Given your read on him as not crazy, I probably believe him and throw away at this point and look for a better spot, figuring I'm either down to AA, KK, QQ and a 4.5:1 dog, or coin-flipping it with AK. Neither sounds fun to me, and you still have plenty of chips to make something happen.

You definitely do NOT have to go broke on this hand. The mistake was not pushing out the riff-raff and gathering information pre-flop.
Old 08-03-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally calling preflop, and just flat calling the raise preflop were your mistakes IMO. You are too shortstacked to play JJ so weakly.