Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-04-2005, 03:41 PM

Default Re: Would you fold this hand on the bubble?

[ QUOTE ]
How much different are these 2 situations really?

Hero 3100
player 2000
player 2000
player 800

and

Hero 2800
player 2000
player 2000
player 1100

?
citanul

[/ QUOTE ]

Not enough as it turns out, but now I feel like I have a better handle on where it would be enough...and if that type of play can change just a few of my seconds and thirds into firsts, then it was definitely worth the time I spent thinking about it....

"Adanthar's point about the likelihood of drawing poopy at the higher buyins is true, but I think that you probably should call anyway, since he could just be running said stop and go at you, not just dieing for action with a big hand."

Agreed. You will win enough times to make it worth your while to call, especially since, as you already pointed out, it doesn't hurt you too much to call and lose.
Old 02-04-2005, 03:47 PM

Sorry Lorinda, but the discussion is exactly what I intended.

I'm the one that should be sorry, not you [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Sorry.

Lori
Old 02-04-2005, 03:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
100%, there is a huge discussion here, but not for the reason that OP intended.

Sorry Lorinda, but the discussion is exactly what I intended.

I know I have the best hand right now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, you "KNOW" you have the best hand right now may be a tad strong, but it doesn't matter because whether or not to call based on your hand strength was so obvious that it wasnt worth discussing in the first place....more importantly

Thanks for the post - you really made me think about an aspect of my game that needed thinking about!
Old 02-04-2005, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is a tempting fold... but do not get too greedy, call this, the short stack has too many chips to give this pot away and expect the other stacks to fold everything except aces and kings, which is I assume why you would fold here.

Also many 20s players dont understand bubble play, In this situation as the big chip leader some guy will fold his stack of like 100 Ill push 5000 with 72o or some crap and get called by AJ or something, Im always shocked what people will call with in this situation at the 20s

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a little confused by the replies here. Are you saying that as the big stack, you don't want to call an ultra small stack push when you have a medium hand? Are the "sweet spot" comments downstream here talking about how many chips the small stack would have to have before you call his pushes with a less than premium hand?

I geuss I just don't understand the correct play with a big stack against a small/tiny stack on the bubble. Since the small stack is pushing almost any two with only 2-3xBB left, if you're the BB or are already heads up like in this hand, aren't you getting great odds with any medium hand pf or a TPWK hand like this one here post-flop? Or is the risk too great that you'll get sucked out on or the small stack luckily has a premium hand and thus your call lets the small stack back in the game?

[/ QUOTE ]

What we are saying is that sometimes as the big stack it pays to let a tiny stack live so you can steal from the medium stacks to increase your chip lead, I win a lot of tournies like this, but...

for this particular hand i say call because of the chip counts and the small stacks position relative to us.
Old 02-04-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Also many 20s players dont understand bubble play, In this situation as the big chip leader some guy will fold his stack of like 100 Ill push 5000 with 72o or some crap and get called by AJ or something, Im always shocked what people will call with in this situation at the 20s

[/ QUOTE ]

I am equally shocked by what crap people push with [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] I would expect AJ to dominate as much it is dominated. Of course you have to be able to distinguish between the tight players and the aggressive pushers to make calls like that.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:56 PM

I am very much enjoying this thread, and thanks for all the good insight.

Beginning of hand: Blinds 100/200
Hero 3335
Mid1 2060
Mid2 2042
Small 563

After hand
Hero 3135
Mid1 2060
Mid2 2042
Small 763

Edit: I'll conclude that discussion by saying SB has too many chips, so I call.

I think I want 4k here, the sb to have 605 and the blinds to be 150-300 next hand.

I just want to get my thoughts clear on this. Does the 4k chip stack matter more here because you really want 2x the next closest stacksize? Is this the most important fact, more than Hanger onner guys stack? Second of all, I would think the lower blinds are actually part of the advantage. It allows Hanger onner guy to Hanger onner a little bit longer.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:09 PM

Well, you "KNOW" you have the best hand right now may be a tad strong

Coldcall, you got me. In all humility, it would have been better stated...

"I'm confident I have the best hand right now."
Old 02-04-2005, 07:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am very much enjoying this thread, and thanks for all the good insight.

Beginning of hand: Blinds 100/200
Hero 3335
Mid1 2060
Mid2 2042
Small 563

After hand
Hero 3135
Mid1 2060
Mid2 2042
Small 763

Edit: I'll conclude that discussion by saying SB has too many chips, so I call.

I think I want 4k here, the sb to have 605 and the blinds to be 150-300 next hand.

I just want to get my thoughts clear on this. Does the 4k chip stack matter more here because you really want 2x the next closest stacksize? Is this the most important fact, more than Hanger onner guys stack? Second of all, I would think the lower blinds are actually part of the advantage. It allows Hanger onner guy to Hanger onner a little bit longer.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you lose a hand to 2nd or 3rd you are now shorty, or right with shorty. The ability to be tied for 2nd/3rd even when you lose really would help your case for folding here.