Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Confessions of a mediocre tournament player

Hey Johann,

Obviously I don't know if any of my advice is is applicable, but what you say sounds familiar, so I'll give it a shot.

Most of my outbreaks of moronitis (this is what I call it when I try to bluff a calling station, call two big stack all-ins with TT or JJ, etc.) come when I make decisions too quickly. I have my hand on the mouse when the action is to me, and next thing I know, all my chips are in the middle. Playing perfect poker requries thought, and in these cases I'm not thinking, but reacting.

What I need to do is think more before I act. I want to get in the habit of never putting chips in the middle until the dealer says it's my turn to act. (I think EverettKings says he always waits until his name has flashed three times.) I cannot remember the last time I used up much of my time bank, and there is no reason for this.

Take time and think. That's the only way we're going to play perfect poker.

Good luck,

Sam
Old 11-10-2005, 02:59 PM

Default Re: Confessions of a mediocre tournament player

Thank you for thoughtful (and thought-provoking) advise and comments from all.

Villain had been rather aggressive, and in addition to picking up a sense of weakness I also felt a need to "put my foot down" ("I'm going to make sure this over-aggressive @#$% has stolen his last chip from me"). Well, getting overly emotional (whether scared or pissed) is probably not conducive to "perfect play". Breathe, breathe, remember Yoga, as the dog says.

My read was correct, btw. He flat called my river bet (leaving himself with t6,000) and took the pot down with his A5.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)