Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 12:33 PM

Default Re: A better line early in an 11?

There is a huge difference between a bet and a raise on a board like this. I don't see how you can discount him having the flush. I see flushes trying to build pots with minraises all the time.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:35 PM

It's an 11. Do you ever check HHs and see the crap guys mini-raise with?

I'm really not a big fan of calling the mini-raise. So, say the turn is a non-spade. What's your line? Check / fold? Bet?

We're OOP. Even to a non-spade, our call sets us up to have the pot stolen from us on the turn. To me, the flop is push / fold after villain re-raises. It's amazing the number of times he's doing this mini-raise crap with a lone spade.

Old 09-02-2005, 12:40 PM

I hate pushing most of my chips in when I may be drawing close to dead. In most cases I take one pretty powerful stab at it. If someone plays back at me I am pretty much done. I prefer folding on the flop instead of calling his raise and then check/folding on the turn if an A or Q don't come.

And I wouldn't discount a flush because this is an 11. Quite the opposite.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:41 PM

I hear what you're saying, but I also think that the OP's decision would have been a lot easier if he'd have made a bigger bet on the flop.

One reason I say this is because I have noticed how spooked I get by these mini-raises, so I have taken to, on rare occassions, bluff mini-raising in spots like this. It really scares the hell out of people and makes them freeze up.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hear what you're saying, but I also think that the OP's decision would have been a lot easier if he'd have made a bigger bet on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still putting in a lot of time adjusting my spidey sense at the lower limits. Sometimes it is way off, but it is getting more and more common that it saves me chips in situations where I previously lost my stack.