Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2005, 12:58 AM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I wish more Americans would embrace World Cup Soccer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? I can never understand why soccer fans desire Americans embrace the sport.

Our population prefers "Amercian" football and most of us don't care if anyone else likes the sport.

Same thing with Canadians and hockey. They seem to be desperate for Americans to learn to love the game. I don't know why they care who likes the game and who does not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it feels a bit cheap to win something that we are not interested in. We all know that if soccer was big in the US, the US would dominate - just like any other sport we care about.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We all know that if soccer was big in the US, the US would dominate - just like any other sport we care about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure about that. Nobody else cares about the sports "we" care about (football, baseball, basketball). So of course "we" dominate these sports - nobody else really plays them.

Soccer is played by almost every nation and I don't think any one nation could ever really dominate the sport over a long period of time.

I don't know much about soccer, but from the little exposure I have been subjected to it seems there are a handfull of countries who consistently turn out the best teams (Germany, Brazil, Italy, England ?). But nobody really dominates the sport. I don't think the US could ever dominate this sport because of the democratic nature of the game.
Old 10-16-2005, 01:23 AM

I think basketball and baseball are pretty big sports world-wide. Maybe that's why we don't dominate them like we used to, though.

Maybe we wouldn't "dominate" soccer, but I am pretty sure the US would be more likely than any other country to be the best team. I think the way the WC is set up you'd have to be MUCH better than everyone else (or very lucky) to dominate.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:26 PM

You have to factor in all those idiots that watch the Super Bowl for the commercials. Soccer doesn't stop for commercials, so right away you lose that whole demographic.
Old 10-16-2005, 04:50 PM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

Who cares???
Old 10-16-2005, 05:04 PM

Default Re: If America got to the World Cup final, how many Yanks would watch it?

I'm not a soccer fan at all, but last world cup I used to get up at like 5 in the morning to watch the USA matches.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was one of those 3.8 mil. US played a pretty good game, could have won it.

[/ QUOTE ]

We played maybe our best game ever, and definitely *should* have won it. We owned them and just got unlucky.

[/ QUOTE ]

for real, anyone who watched that game knows that if it weren't for Micheal Ballack being the world class player that he is, the US would've gotten to the semis
Old 10-16-2005, 09:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Soccer is played by almost every nation and I don't think any one nation could ever really dominate the sport over a long period of time.

[/ QUOTE ]

eh, wrong. THere is a reason that only 7 nations have ever won the title, and that 5 have ever won multiple titles. So I think that would definetly mean that a small group of nations could dominate year-in-year out

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know much about soccer, but from the little exposure I have been subjected to it seems there are a handfull of countries who consistently turn out the best teams (Germany, Brazil, Italy, England ?). But nobody really dominates the sport. I don't think the US could ever dominate this sport because of the democratic nature of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously you don't know much, so don't try to pretend that your opinion is rooted that much in fact. YOu make an observation about how few nations dominate, and then try to say that the democratic nature of football lends itself to this not happening. Football is very undemocratic and is driven by money. It is a testament to Argentina and Brazil for them constatnly churning out some of the best players in the world when their domestic clubs are raided all the time of their best players to bigger european clubs
Old 10-16-2005, 09:24 PM

hopefully I'll be there [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. I completely readjusted my sleep schedule in 2002 for the WC and watch MLS and English Prem all the time, so, I'm definetly gonna be watching
Old 10-16-2005, 09:39 PM

I specified that I did not think any ONE nation could dominate, especially the US. I then used an observation that there are a handfull of nations that are consistently strong. Not any single nation that wins all, or most, of the time.

Domination, to me, is something like the Soviet Union winning in hockey almost every year from 1964 through 1980 or the US winning most international basketball competitions until recently. Not Brazil winning one year, Argentina the next, Italy the next, France the next, then Germany, then Brazil again.