Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 04:02 PM

Default Re: Phil Gordon Celebrity Poker analysis

I played a big WCOOP hand in the 1K WCOOP event where on the river I bluffed allin with ace high, except that I accidentally left 25 chips behind. Blinds were 100/200 with an ante and my opponent check-raised me allin and I called my last 25 into an 11K pot.

My friend saw the hand and said "You should have folded, since ace high is never ever good there, although if you had folded for your last quarter I would have laughed my ass off."
Old 09-19-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I played a big WCOOP hand in the 1K WCOOP event where on the river I bluffed allin with ace high, except that I accidentally left 25 chips behind. Blinds were 100/200 with an ante and my opponent check-raised me allin and I called my last 25 into an 11K pot.

My friend saw the hand and said "You should have folded, since ace high is never ever good there, although if you had folded for your last quarter I would have laughed my ass off."

[/ QUOTE ]

Chip and a chair, baby.
Old 09-19-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hhmmmm, excuse me people, have any of you ever watched an episode of this horrid show? It seems like some of the guests usually just learn how to play right before the show starts.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than the first episode, no.
Old 09-19-2005, 11:03 PM

yeh it was bad that he put himself there. He should have called so he could leave.
Old 09-20-2005, 01:31 AM

Like, you know it's late when you're actually watching two white guys boxing on t.v. it's the same thing when you're watching celebrity poker, it's usually that you're just too damn lazy to put your tub of Ben and Jerry's down and go get the damn remote.
It's a strange thing, but the only time I even consider doing heroin is when I see that crap on t.v.
A buddy of mine was recently in Iraq, they've been showing insurgents episodes of celbrity poker. They can't shut the terrorists up. They spill the beans like you wouldn't believe so that don't have to listen to the corny jokes or watch the worst poker shown on television.
Does anybody enjoy that crap? Who the hell watches it?
Old 09-20-2005, 02:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have seen soooo many bizarre things on this show that this would become an insta-call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:07 AM

The fold is pretty awful in my opinion. It's specifically awful since many of the players on this show make horrible horrible plays all the time (like bluff raising 500 more in a 5k pot). Perhaps the fold could be correct against someone if I have a good reason to believe they understand the basic principles of poker, but on celebrity poker I would make the call instantly.
Old 09-20-2005, 02:02 PM

Sorta OTT, but I met Phil Gordon today while he was hawking his new DVD at the TV station I work for in Atlanta. He's also in town for a appearance at the ESPN Zone, which he and the sponsors are giving away a seat to the WSOP ME in 2006.

Though I cant stand to watch Celebrity Poker Showdown(and not because of him, though he is a bit stiff), I must say my impressions of Gordon the person were positive. Nice, easygoing sort of guy, and a pleasure to be around. Took time to chat with me about the game and gave me a DVD and a VIP pass to the event at the zone this evening. Even chided me about not playing at Full Tilt(yet).

My initial thoughts about him from watching his poker playing TV appearances was that he was cocky, arrogrant, and not all that good. I was wrong. The cockiness is just the belief and knowledge that he is a fine player, and from my brief encounter with him, a geniunely nice guy.

Sorry for the hijack...for the record, I also make the call for my last 200...if for no other reason than if Im wrong, I can go to the losers lounge at get my drinks from the chick with the skin tight gold lame' shorts!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
GREAT check on the river by the Dwarf to induce the-aggressive Meatbluff.

Fold for $200 more?? 'No I won't do that!'....

[/ QUOTE ]

Tourney Director: "It's $200 to you, Meatloaf."

Midget: "Stop right there! I gotta know right now, before we go any further...will you call me? Will you call on the river?"

Meatloaf:"Let me sleep on it! Midget, midget, let me sleep on it!
Let me sleep on it! I'll call on the river in the morning!"

Midget: "I gotta know right now!"

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL.

Jordan you are brilliant. NH man.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
against total amateurs, you have to assume they will do something really stupid every once in a while, including thinking they have a straight with J9.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL. I remember when I thought 4 consecutively-ranked cards was a straight, too. lol.

'Course, I've learned a lot in the last week..