Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2005, 04:34 AM

Default Re: Reasons Americans are hated

[ QUOTE ]
So... you're at a funeral for a war veteran. You're talking to your young cousin, possibly the grandson of the deceased. And you decide that the best idea is to denounce the way people had chosen to memorialize his life and passing. Using incorrect facts that you heard somewhere but never bothered to verify. For some reason I can't really see "consumerism" and American superficiality as the villains in this story.

[/ QUOTE ]

two of you have made this point. i guess its a valid thing to say but the timing was fine. its really not the point.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What the [censored] are you people talking about?? There is no such thing as third world flower exploitation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me 'lol'. I'm going to use that as an away message, I think.

I remember reading an interview with the guitarist of the coincidentally all-Armenian System of a Down. The article started by mentioning that rock journalists try to place every group in some sort of category. The guitarist's first quote was, "First of all, there's no such f--king thing as 'Armenian Rock'."

Of all the things I thought this thread would accuse my country of, I must agree that flower exploitation was not one.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:41 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En respuesta a:</font><hr />
two of you have made this point. i guess its a valid thing to say but the timing was fine. its really not the point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both the point and its timing were invalid. Over to the viewers as to which is worse.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: Provincial prejudices

Of course most working Americans get only a couple of weeks holiday per year and travelling to far off places is not very likerly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said. In reponse to both this and Cyrus's OP, I would say this is a definite drawback of our hypercompetitive society here in the United States. Of course proximity plays a large part too (I think) but I feel quite sure that if the US had mandatory vacation time that we would probably see a spike in the numbers. This is all complete conjecture on my part of course. Of course than the debate is how important one thinks that its general citizenry be well travelled. Personally, I think it would be quite beneficial. I certainly wish I could do more travelling abroad myself.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:01 AM

Default 1st Place: This is the One of the Most Ignorant Posts Ever in....

......this forum.

Let me see if I can translate this nonsense.

'I don't like America but I'm not sure why. Something about people who plant flowers and starve because their too dumb to plant food. I'm not sure if this story is true or not. But I will waste everyone's time telling it.....just in case it is true. Can someone research this story to see if it is true....just in case. Please tell me more anti-American stories so I can justify my neurotic loathing of Americans.'
Old 10-18-2005, 12:05 PM

Default Travelling abroad

[ QUOTE ]
I certainly wish I could do more travelling abroad myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me hasten to add that by "getting close to foreigners" I do NOT mean flying our aircraft really low over their rooftops and dropping them souvenirs that go bang.
Old 10-18-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Travelling abroad

I certainly wish I could do more travelling abroad myself.

[/ QUOTE ]
Let me hasten to add that by "getting close to foreigners" I do NOT mean flying our aircraft really low over their rooftops and dropping them souvenirs that go bang.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the clarification. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] That said, one of the most enjoyable parts of my job is getting to visit other places (on foot [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] ) and interact with the local populace. It can be tough though since we are dumping ~5000 people into a city who havent seen land for a while and are trying to make up for lost time. I generally try to distance myself from the crowd so I get more of the 'experience'.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:27 PM

This is why people like YOU are hated.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:51 PM

Default Re: 1st Place: This is the One of the Most Ignorant Posts Ever in....

[ QUOTE ]
......this forum.

Let me see if I can translate this nonsense.

'I don't like America but I'm not sure why. Something about people who plant flowers and starve because their too dumb to plant food. I'm not sure if this story is true or not. But I will waste everyone's time telling it.....just in case it is true. Can someone research this story to see if it is true....just in case. Please tell me more anti-American stories so I can justify my neurotic loathing of Americans.'

[/ QUOTE ]

Man you are going way overboard with this. I don't think I did anything so wrong to deserve this "hate".
Old 10-18-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: 1st Place: This is the One of the Most Ignorant Posts Ever in....

[ QUOTE ]
'I don't like America but I'm not sure why.

[/ QUOTE ]

While there are many things I don't like about America (or better, Americans), it's not that I don't like it as a whole.

[ QUOTE ]
Something about people who plant flowers and starve because their too dumb to plant food.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I don't know if its the people or the corporations who plant the flowers, I assumed the corporations. (If this even happens)

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not sure if this story is true or not. But I will waste everyone's time telling it.....just in case it is true. Can someone research this story to see if it is true....just in case. Please tell me more anti-American stories so I can justify my neurotic loathing of Americans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I consider these forums the best research tool I know. Here I can get opinions from several different people who may be quite knowledgable in any given area.

All I did was tell a story. Maybe I was the fool for believing it so blindly when I was first told, but it made a lot of sense to me. My main reason for posting the OP was hopefully to learn something, I'm not trying to go preaching about things. I'm sorry if that's what it seemed like.