Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2005, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Another interesting hand from the game\'s \"smartest player\"

There are more, maybe even stronger, arguments for calling.

wchen also has no fold equity on future pushes if he folds here. He would be left with 3xBB. If he pushed from the button next hand BB's calling range would be huge because BB would only have to call 400 to take a shot a 900 pot.

This might also be a move based on, "the best hand I'm likely to have before it doesn't matter what hand I have" principle.

Likewise, if wchen doubles up he has more fold equity to exploit against the other players. His pushing range can become wider and he can take blinds more agressively than he can as the small stack.

Also, pushing hands like KQ or AT are much more likely simply because they're more numerous than pairs, making the call a coinflip a great deal of the time.

Overall, I think this is a situation where the likely way in which future hands will play out dictates what decision has to be made in a current hand.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There are more, maybe even stronger, arguments for calling.

wchen also has no fold equity on future pushes if he folds here. He would be left with 3xBB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I lied, I'm back before 24 hours (but just briefly, and semi-drunk at that).

Stakes are 100/200, which means the blinds are only 50/100. So...this call was made with lots of BB/FE left...if this was 100/200 blinds, it would be a completely different story...
Old 10-15-2005, 04:24 AM

Well, then I'm back to my "opponents change their pushing range argument."

I just honestly can't see an accomplished high stakes player not having some sort of defensible line for calling with 22-44 in the BB here.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:28 AM

Very -$EV for this hand anyway. I suppose it was an image play.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or he put a very high value on the chips he stood to gain.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people keep saying this? How can this be an image play? Will you honestly change your pushing range if you know the BB will call with 22? Actually, you don't even know that he is calling with 22 just that he has done so in the past in a -EV situation.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:35 AM

I can't think of a range that he's +cEV against here (he's a 2:1 dog vs anything i can put together) So unless he thought he was outclassed mightily (gigabet is at the table [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ) and he needed to gamble to get a big stack to play with, this is bad.

I stand by that he must of had to go somewhere.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:16 AM

Was just reading Jerrod Ankenman's LJ, and saw something in reference to Chen:

Seems Jerrod, Bill, et. al. got into a debate on what Bill would score on the LSAT with no studying. Needless to say it ended up with a wager and they had him run through the offical 4 hr practice test.

Jerrod says Bill, "without even really knowing what the format would be or what to expect, scored 176."

Not too shabby. (tis out of 180..)

Does anyone know when Chen and Ankenman's book is supposed to be out? Mathmatics of Poker??
Old 10-15-2005, 06:19 AM

I would suspect it's a combination of things already said.

a) A bigger stack on the bubble is important in STEP 5s as bubbles are correctly tight-aggro. Winning this hand will allow him to outchip the two stacks he's pushing into, and have enough chips to threaten the stack pushing into him.
b) He plays with a lot of these guys often, so image matters. If he shows he will defend his BB, people will notice, and their adjustments will be good for him in the future.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people keep saying this? How can this be an image play? Will you honestly change your pushing range if you know the BB will call with 22? Actually, you don't even know that he is calling with 22 just that he has done so in the past in a -EV situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I will change my pushing range. If I see someone do this once, I will write a note that says "loose caller." This will affect my pushing range in the future. If it were someone I played with a lot, I might be able to figure out whether they always call loose or just sometimes.