Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 12:31 AM

Default Re: 3-5 NL Live Hand

Another horrid example (I misplayed this BADLY, but not nearly as badly as the others)

I open-raise to $20 in the CO with KQs. Button flat calls with pocket kings! Small blind flat calls with pocket aces! Big blind feels priced in with J9o and calls.

Flop is J 9 4 and I'm thinking I have two overcard outs (partial) and the gutshot. I haven't seen any strength and have no reason to suspect such strong hands.

Small blind (AA) checks, Big blind checks (two pair), I check, Pocket Kings leads out for $25, Small blind FLAT CALLS!, Big blind check-min-raises to $50, I *EDIT*, Button FLATCALLS the min-raise, Small blind THEN moves all in for $100 more, Big blind moves in on top of that for $200 more, and Button finally folds.....

In summary, I trusted I could play decent enough postflop (even OOP) with 34s and one of the deepest stacks at the table to warrant a limp. Yes I could have bet the flop but I received the best possible turn card and it wasn't the type of table to wait for the nuts and bet as a lot of money was made without showdowns.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but i dont usually commit myself in multiway pots like that with no bets on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement does NOT speak for itself. I assume you're trying to abuse the cliche "Dont go broke in an unraised pot" and it's simply ridiculous.

Try saying out loud, "I'd play a straight + open-ended straight flush draw very weakly in a pot where no one has shown an interest and I'm one of the bigger stacks at the table."

Good god, what hand do you want to play if not a straight + OESFD?
Old 08-29-2005, 05:37 PM

At the risk of revealing how bad of a player I am, I'll disagree with everyone.

I bet $20-25 on the flop, because I think you'll have the best hand at least 40% of the time. Having not bet the flop, I raise the turn to $30, because you are only worried about 78. I like the river bet: It's not too high so middle 2 pair should call. I'm clueless after he raises. I think he'd only do this with the nuts but the pots giving you about 4-1. Stilll, I might actually fold this.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think he'd only do this with the nuts but the pots giving you about 4-1. Stilll, I might actually fold this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you think Villian might assume that Hero doesn't have a straight, because, he didn't re-raise on the turn or possibly Villain also has a 3? Mandatory call here.
Old 08-30-2005, 12:11 AM

Me (Hero) can't reraise on the turn because the Button didn't raise the minimum with his push. How can the Villain (who i speak of as a thinking player who has folded KK on an undercard flop) raise and not fear I have 73 or 78?
Old 08-30-2005, 01:28 AM

There are really only two possibilities that I see.

1) Villian is a thinking player. He has 78.

2) Villian is a much better player than both of us. He has just a three but knows you have just a three as well.

Option 1 is far more likely.