Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-19-2005, 11:51 AM

Default Re: what are weak tight players thinking about?

quite frankly, i think that if you are just starting out and have to play weak-tight to avoid losing money, or in order to make a small profit, you should just not play. or, you should not play very much. instead, you just be cruising the forums 40 hours a week. that is how you will learn. if you search out from the archives posts from when i first starting coming here, you will see that i didnt know a damn thing. 70% of everything ive learned about poker is from these forums. 20% is from experience and 10% is from books.
Old 03-19-2005, 01:11 PM

i think it's smart to start out very tight. i certainly did, and i still lean that way. i have to force myself to get aggresive with holdings that are sub-nuts. i realize now the importance of taking down pots with out a showdown by being aggressive post flop, by i think thats a difficult skill that requires significant analysis of the hand. playing super tight prevents you from being in tough situations. you have really good cards, and the flop hits you or it doesn't. thats the best way to limit your downside, which i believe is important while you're learning. playing poker is a skill that needs to be learned piece by piece. if you're learning to juggle you don't jump straight from 3 balls to 5 torches. you add one thing at a time, you get comfortable with it, and then you add something else.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:50 PM

I'm getting dizzy from all these VPIPS, LAG, pfr, tptk ...

Do we have a Facts Page somewhere to explain all these whatchamacallits?

PairTheBoard
Old 03-19-2005, 05:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm getting dizzy from all these VPIPS, LAG, pfr, tptk ...

Do we have a Facts Page somewhere to explain all these whatchamacallits?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, but I'll help out here because it's easier than finding a FAQ page and linking it.

VPIPS: A percentage computed by PokerTracker that gives the amount of time a player voluntarily enters a pot.

LAG: Loose-Aggressive. Players that play a lot of hands and raise/bet a lot. A maniac is a very loose-aggressive player. This style generally doesn't work in limit, but can be VERY effective in no limit when used properly.

PFR: Pre-flop raiser, or pre-flop raise percentage. A statistic used to measure how LAG a player is.

TPTK: Top pair, top kicker. For example, holding AK on a AJ5 board.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:09 PM

Some people that are being referred to as weak tight may be playing proper based on poker theory. Ok, I still play a bit weak tight sometimes, but since many players are very aggressive it may make this a correct play. i.e. if they tend to call too much, encourage them to call. If they tend to bet too much, encourage them to bet, etc etc
Old 03-19-2005, 05:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
quite frankly, i think that if you are just starting out and have to play weak-tight to avoid losing money, or in order to make a small profit, you should just not play. or, you should not play very much. instead, you just be cruising the forums 40 hours a week. that is how you will learn. if you search out from the archives posts from when i first starting coming here, you will see that i didnt know a damn thing. 70% of everything ive learned about poker is from these forums. 20% is from experience and 10% is from books.

[/ QUOTE ]

For any new players reading this thread, read this post again and let this sink in. It's very good advice. Learning here is free, learning in a game will often cost you money.

Personally, most of my knowledge is self-taught because I started playing long before I read this forum or books. But I have learned things MUCH faster by reading them on this forum than by learning them myself by playing. I wish I knew about this three years ago.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:35 PM

One batch of stats I'd really like to know about myself (at B&M LHE) is my VPIP from each seat. Wouldn't that be some dandy data to know about yourself and others? Does online databasery do that (yet)?.

Tommy
Old 03-19-2005, 05:47 PM

Yes, Tommy, it does. Very nifty. Also computes BB per hand from each seat, among other things. Maybe somebody and post a screen shot of the position tab in Poker Tracker.
Old 03-19-2005, 06:41 PM

Thanks PF.

PTB
Old 03-19-2005, 07:29 PM

this is one of the major reasons why i decided to start taking up online play. i can determine where my leaks lie, what seats im losing money from, what hands show negative expectations, which hands im not playing enough of, seeing that i raise too much, seeing that i limp too much, etc. its quite a handy dandy thing.