Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2005, 01:53 PM

Default Re: What to do when...

[ QUOTE ]

Some people like to play against other people that know what they are doing so they can improve their play.

[/ QUOTE ]
People that like to feed their ego more than their bankroll

[ QUOTE ]
Playing against chumps, what are you proving?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm proving to myself that I enjoy other people's money.
Old 05-31-2005, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What do you do when you hold small PP in EP, you limp then someone in MP raises and then someone behind them 3bets.

Only the 3 of you in the pot and assuming you have no idea if its going to be capped or not.

[/ QUOTE ]

Call obviously. You're getting the odds to hit your set and your implied odds if you do hit are huge. For those weak-tighties who choose to disregard this advice, that's fine. Just keep folding 44 when I 3 bet with AKs and the flop comes A 7 4. I'll be happy.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Some people like to play against other people that know what they are doing so they can improve their play.

[/ QUOTE ]
People that like to feed their ego more than their bankroll

[ QUOTE ]
Playing against chumps, what are you proving?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm proving to myself that I enjoy other people's money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have stated my point much better.

If you always play against 9 players that are worse than you, you will make a lot of money. Unfortunately you will probably stunt your growth as a poker player and will never know your true skill.

It's not about feeding your ego, it' about improving as a poker player and that is hard to do if you aren't challenging yourself. And if you are always playing in the softest possible .50/1 game at Party how can you really be challenging yourself?

If your goal is to 8-table some micro limit for the rest of your life just to earn a little cash, great for you, and good luck with that. I have a little loftier goal and that is to reach a limit where I don't have to play 8 tables just to have a decent win rate per hour.

What's it have to do with not wanting to win people's money? Everyone loves that, but I would rather improve and being taking their money at 10/20, 15/30, and on up. It's not like I said to always play a tougher table. You play a soft table to win money and then play a tougher table to improve your game, there is definitely a balance between the two that needs to be struck.

And when you aren't challenging yourself to be a better player you aren't really improving as much as you think. And if you aren't improving you are gonna be stuck 8-tabling those micros for an awefully long time...