Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: The drug addict belongs in jail

Is community service the usual punishment given to someone convicted of the crimes he is accused of (I imagine he would be a first time offender)? If so, that could be a fitting sentence, along with appropriate probation period and mandatory testing. Again, I think sentencing should be based on your crimes, not your affluence or fame. (What other charges is he accused of? I wasn't sure if there were conspiracy charges due to the fact that he apparently involved others in obtaining his drugs.)
Old 02-12-2004, 04:30 PM

Actually people are rarely prosecuted for the crimes of which he is accused. This does not mean he is innocent just that he is being singled out and punished more harshly due to his fame ( or political affiliation) rather than being given any breaks.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:50 PM

Actually people are rarely prosecuted for the crimes of which he is accused. are you refering to drug possesions? Because if you are, you are wrong, most people in America charged with drug possesions are usually prosecuted. Now if you are refering to people accused of prescription drug abuse, then yeah you are right, however most of these people have money or the means to hire a lawyer to get the charges dropped. Someone said it earlier, there is a definite double standard with drug abusers/ sellers in this country. So called fashion drugs, ie vicadin, ritalin abusers are let off the hook for becoming addicted to presription drugs simply because they are prescription drugs. Now the addiction aspect of it is sad, however the continued "illegal" purchase/possesion/use does not deserve the same amount of compassion. Its illegal under the law bottom line. The fact that few people get prosecuted for it is probably the saddest part.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:59 PM

Dr. shopping is the crime for which he is being prosecuted. I said nothing about illegal posession of drugs.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:03 PM

If you want to believe his lawyers spin go ahead!
Old 02-12-2004, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to believe his lawyers spin go ahead!

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to believe the criminaliberals, go ahead. I do not have to believe any spin, the charges are a public record.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:20 PM

What exactly are the charges?
Old 02-12-2004, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What exactly are the charges?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ten felony violations of (what are called in Florida) Doctor shopping statutes. I am searching for an online source showing the official documents. Keep in mind Rush was offered a chance to plead guilty to a single count of doctor shopping. For which he would receive, in addition to three years of probation, treatment for addiction and must submit to random drug testing.

Old 02-12-2004, 07:34 PM

"Is community service the usual punishment given to someone convicted of the crimes he is accused of (I imagine he would be a first time offender)? If so, that could be a fitting sentence, along with appropriate probation period and mandatory testing. Again, I think sentencing should be based on your crimes, not your affluence or fame."

Well let me make my position more clear. I don't think ANYONE should be prosecuted for "victimless" crimes even if it is the law. I don't think ANYONE should go to jail for "victimless" crimes even if that is the statute, and even if that is the norm. In other words I think every similar case, not only Rush's, should be disposed of. These people are just victimizing themselves and IMO it is wrong to victimize them further. It would be different if they were actively harming someone else.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:30 PM

I agree with you... what you are talking about is nice, I would support that as well, but the real world is what we live in so..... drug abusers go to jail. Unfair? sure, the wrong approach? sure, however thats the way it will be until some progressive thinking people are apponited or elected to top posistions.