Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-16-2005, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Sunglasses

I recommend Ray Ban Avaitors for new players. Good solid Cop glasses, make you look like Ponch from CHIPS. As my game improved, I found they werent covering enough of my face, and the better players picked up on the twitch my eyebrows make when I'm bluffing so I switched to Smith Ski Goggles. I recently made the move to a Welder's Mask. I also experiement with Fencing Masks, but those with good eyesight can see through that. Go with the Welder's Mask.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:41 PM

Anybody who pretends that sunglasses aren't slightly +EV per hour at the table for most players is a moron. It's a shame that nobody has answered your question (or if they have, I've missed it). I wish I had an answer.

I realize that the amount that they help you is probably not comparable to the drop in comfort level (loss of sight, having to hear the remarks about the sunglasses, etc.).
Old 03-16-2005, 12:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Anybody who pretends that sunglasses aren't slightly +EV per hour at the table for most players is a moron.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, I hope you're joking. If not, here it comes...
Old 03-16-2005, 01:00 PM

the only way I'd wear them is

A. Someone paid me to
B. I just got my eyes dialated
C. It was really f'ing bright i.e. TV lights or something

otherwise it's just lame, noone is going to make a decision based upon the dialation of your pupils or where you look.

Melch

P.S. I read somewhere that sunglasses caused Ivey to misread his hand, thus lose a huge put. I could see that happening due to sunglasses.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:07 PM

Yes, despite my post count I've read the forums for over a year. I am quite aware of the sunglasses police, although a lot of them are underage.

My only question is, since we know making fun of people who wear sunglasses has jumped the shark, has making fun of the people who make fun of the people wearing sunglasses jumped the shark too? Ah, the meta-game...
Old 03-16-2005, 01:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
P.S. I read somewhere that sunglasses caused Ivey to misread his hand, thus lose a huge put. I could see that happening due to sunglasses.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is true, he is quoted as saying he used them one time and misread his hand cause it was to dark . Afterwards he flung them in the trash never to wear them again.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:10 PM

People like you make me want to wear them, if only because I know it A- bugs you for no good reasons B- will make you think I'm an idiot.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:35 PM

You guys need to lighten up and enjoy life more. Poker really is a fun game...with or without headgear.

Truth be told, I dont wear it for strategical purposes, I just look damn cool in a welder's mask.
Old 03-16-2005, 01:37 PM

Anytime anyone asks about a pair of sunglasses for poker they are bombarded with "anyone who wears shades is a moron/poser/loser". You ever wonder why? I have a harder time playing against people who are wearing shades than those who are not. I suspect most other people do too. Even if the shades didn't actually help (I think they usually do), just the fact that your wearing them will upset other players that are just not mature enough to handle it is reason enough to wear them. IMHO the only time you really shoudn't wear them is at a low limit game where the social atmosphere is such that wearing shades would change a profitable game into an unprofitable one. You don't have to play much higher than 3-6 before picking up a single tell that wins you a pot makes the shades worth it.

The challenge is to find a pair that don't darken your view but still hide your eyes. Best I've found so far are very light Ray-bans found at places like Sunglass Hut or mall style optical shops. They are around $110.
Old 03-16-2005, 02:11 PM

edited