Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-26-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: Why are poker players (and in particular these forums) so hostile?

Because the medium depersonalizes people and much of the politeness and/or respect that might otherwise be there is non-existent. You ever take a look at Yahoo's message boards for news articles? Ever see reviews of films on IMDB.com? Ever looked at some of the hatemail people send? The latter is close to my heart, as an online filmcritic, but it also speaks to the very nature of this whole thing: What could possibly make people get so damned angry about a simple movie review? Now consider that people often seem happy to get that angry over nothing, and put them on 2+2 where reputations are often at stake. It isn't any worse here. In fact, I think it's still better than some of the other forums you might visit on various subjects.

People are immature. The Internet allows them to be as immature as they want with little reprisal. And unfortunately, I think we as a group (myself included) give them way, way too much attention.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:52 PM

Okay, sorry, I misunderstood.
Old 07-26-2005, 01:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You are missing out on some valuable information. I can't count how many times in the past that a flamer, while trying to show how stupid I was, has explained a very important poker concept or strategy.

Most flame replies have little value but to totally dismiss them all is a mistake.

I don't consider flames as a contribution but I glady accept any valuable information they may contain.

Just because someone is an ASS, doesn't auotmatically mean they aren't a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is 100% correct.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
... Just because someone is an ASS, doesn't auotmatically mean they aren't a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]
this is 100% correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

It may mean that she is an emotionally unstable poker player.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:11 PM

From a some-time flamer, some of the posts on 2+2 (I guess due to the SI article) about strategy are so poor it's not even funny lately. People asking obvious questions that can be answered so simply they don't need to be posting them. I love 2+2, but I believe the quality has fallen in the past couple of months.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:21 PM

This poster is a troll, one that is very likely the lastest version of a somebody who has trolled SS for a while. They didn't start getting insulted until they A- insulted one of the more respected SS posters B- started posting advice that was fundamentally incorrect.

Every legitmate response to this thread just gives this person the attention they're just bugging for.
Old 07-26-2005, 04:28 PM

this has not been my experience
Old 07-26-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm a normal guy, mid 20s, with a normal job and a normal life. I'm happy and well-adjusted, and don't feel the need to ridicule people on a message board incessantly. Am I that much of an anomaly? Because I often feel like the vast majority of the posters on here (and poker players in general) could use some time on the psychiatist's couch ... so very angry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto!

Though, on second thought, you obviously don't know what you're talking about. Try coming back after you've played at least 500,000 hands at 13.62BB/100 like I have. You got a problem?? I'11 s0 pwn u headz up fish!!1!
Old 07-26-2005, 04:58 PM

I think you may have just rubbed some people the wrong way and had a bad experience. Since I began posting here I haven't encountered any hostilitiy at all, and while I agree that certain prominenet posters may seem cliquish, I believe it's untrue after talking to some of them on IRC one night. Hell, one of them said I should post more.

You say strategy posts turn into flamefests: the only one's that I have read that resulted in any flaming were those that have been rehashed over...and over....and over again to the point of absurdity, and many of these posts are random people that expect since this is a poker community, they will be welcomed with open arms by expert players just DYING to answer every little question they have. You ever know a person that finds out you play poker online, and can't stop asking you every single little thing about what you do. After a while, it gets old.

I think maybe the problem is not with the forums, but with you. I glance through your posts, and whenever someone disagrees or corrects you, you become hostile. You take every criticism as a personal attack, and it's clear that you're guilty of the very same things you accuse the posters here of. I've never replied to any of your posts before or in general even noticed them apart from any other posts, but upon closer reflection you're very combative. When you reply with things like "I see why A10 gives you trouble when you play it like that," and "You're all wrong, and this IS simple. Scary," is a clear invitation to start a conflict. If you want better responses, try being less abrasive in your posts. Acting like a dick is not going to earn you more respect here, just like in real life.

Oftentimes in life, when asking for advice you aren't going hear something you like. In cases such as these it's important to check your ego and accept the fact that while it may not be something you want to hear, there is merit to the advice you receive. If you choose to be headstrong, I can see where you can experience hostility. I've posted in strategy posts and been clearly incorrect in my thought process, but I haven't been flamed. It's imprtant to consider everyone else's point of view as well, because maybe it's you that is being antagonistic.

In short, try to be less sensitive. Don't take it personally if someone is curt. After all, the internet is Serious Business
Old 07-26-2005, 04:58 PM

Sic the Landlady on them!