Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2005, 12:20 PM

Default Re: How do I play AK here?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to raise AK with multiple calls in front of me (see HEFAP) preflop. An AK raise in later positions is pretty much reserved for coercing the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

you speak with an air of authority, but this is incorrect.

advocating the limping of AK preflop in

loose games, whether they be passive or aggressive
AND
in late position
AND
in a multiway unraised pot

is just flat out wrong.

and, as an aside, pokerroom is the site that has the expected win stats for every hand, however those stats reflect the play of general public on that site -- not the correct play
Old 11-30-2005, 12:26 PM

that sucks, but you do only have 1 pair, I think a fold is in order
Old 11-30-2005, 12:32 PM

d) Fold & ask the poker gods for KK next time
Old 11-30-2005, 01:14 PM

Obviously, we will persist in our seperate courses on the AK issue. Although the general public is an ass, to paraphrase, those stats are indicative of what will win against the general public, it seems to me. These are the levels I am playing at, these are the hands that beat me, and these are the levels that have inspired my uncertainty--besides, there are enough adept players playing at these lower levels to take substance from the statistics, and there is a very much larger sample of expert play at higher limits that increases the substantiality which these numbers include. But I am not basing my observations on this data alone. If you would follow the link I have included in my post, you might find that there are more rigorous, mathematical grounds to entertain reservation about your recommendation. Coupled with the pokerroom data, this argues that there are adequate reasons to believe that the proper treatment of AKo is still moot.

As a last observation, most simulations run on starting hands--and which form the evidentiary basis of so many of arguments about hand values and the treatment of them--are not correctly run. And it is just these simulations that attempt to provide us with insight into expert play. Again, the link I have provided illuminates the issues involved.

In fact, in the conclusions drawn by the author's simulations, AKo is nudged up a spot on the overall strength of the holding as structured by Sklansky, but the advice to raise for value Sklansky makes is contradicted.
Old 11-30-2005, 01:24 PM

:grunch:

I would fold. You are up against 2-pair at the very least.

Do implied odds allow for a cap?
Old 11-30-2005, 01:51 PM

Fold and be glad you did.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:03 PM

Muck. Bet-raise-reraise almost ensures you are dead, my guess would be a least one set. Even your ace out could be dead if somebody has OESD. I would certainly not cap. And since there is a good chance MP3 may cap, I would simply fold and save some bets.