Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2003, 02:24 PM

Default Wilt & Free Throws

One of the odd things about Chamberlain is that he couldn't shoot free throws in games--but he could in practice. When he was with the Lakers he could outshoot Jerry West at the free throw line--on the practice court. It was all psychological.

Ragnar
Old 11-17-2003, 05:11 PM

Default Re: Greatest Basketball Players of All Time

Watching MJ as I grew up in the Chicagoland area was something else. Like you said, I think one of the great things about MJ was his ability to elevate his teammates. Scotty Pippen is a good player...when he played with Michael he was a great player. Same with countless others. Part of Michael's greatness was knowing that when he was on the court he would be double/triple teamed...this allowed others on the team to be open and thus make great plays themselves. Jordan also made really big plays when he had to and was able to ignite the team/crowd like nobody else I've seen.
Old 11-17-2003, 06:38 PM

Clarkmeister don't you think the inequitable enforcement of rules and violations against Jordan made him appear better compared to other players? Particularly of past eras?

Old 11-17-2003, 07:14 PM

"Clarkmeister don't you think the inequitable enforcement of rules and violations against Jordan made him appear better compared to other players? "

You make a good point in that if Jordan went to the line every time he was fouled driving through a triple team, he likely would have averaged another 8-10ppg.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:42 PM

Default Clyde

Walt Frazier seems to be missing from the list. He was probably the most intelligent point gaurd to play the game. He may have been disqualified from the list because he played defense (although, apparently, Russell wasn't.) I'm really showing my age, but defense is where you try to impede your opponent's ability to score points, either by thwarting their attempts to shoot or move the ball, or, as Jordan used to do, by loafing at the half-court line and rooting for your other four teammates.

At one time, defense was a part of professional basketball.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:11 PM

Default Re: Clyde

It's basically impossible to compare basketball players across generations. The rules were different, the schedules were different, the level of medical technology and training regimens are different, etc.

In the era of modern basketball, 1980 on, more or less, Jordan is far and away the best basketball player. Is he the greatest ever? I certainly think so, but you can raise legitimate arguments for a number of the pre-1980 players. You cannot for any player since that time. It almost doesn't matter what standard you want to use - individual accomplishment, team achievement, effect on the NBA as a whole - Jordan was the best, most dominant player since the 70s.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

At one time, defense was a part of professional basketball.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Defenses are vastly improved over what they were 20 years ago. Teams used to routinely average over 100, even 110 points per game, but those days are long gone.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:44 PM

If the defense was so good back then, why were the scores so much higher? The Detroit Pistons showed the world in the late 80s how important defense is, and basketball has been much uglier ever since.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:47 PM

I think they were higher than that. Games used to sometimes be in the 170s without overtime. One time Wilt actually scored 100 points all by himself. Don't think that will happen anytime soon.
Old 11-17-2003, 09:54 PM

Aren't price and miller the two all time leading free throw %age leaders. I know no stats on this because i don't follow the NBA at all.

-AA