Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Re: Is the action drying up on Party Poker?

I appreciate your comment and I am sure to some extend this is true. But I suck a lot less than I used to and my win rate on my last 20,000 hands at .5/1 is over 2BB/100.
I hope that you are right in the sense that this would mean I just need to practive and get better.
Old 08-11-2005, 11:54 AM

I was responding to another poster and not to you. I don't anything about your abilities, I was just making a joke.

I was serious about the backgammon thing though.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:16 PM

i was playing 3/6 and 5/10 about a year ago and lost my bankroll because i was trying to move up way to fast, and playing to many tourneys, and i sucked a lot more than i do now, after numerous 50 dollar buy ins i am back to the point were i can play 3/6 without too much risk and i have noticed a big difference, theres still the occaisional live ones, but for the most part the games have gotten a lot tighter, but still definately beatable, this comes from someone who played in them last year and then just stared playing in them again, its easier to notice the difference when you havent been there for the graduial decline
Old 08-11-2005, 12:37 PM

One important thing to realize is that if your game improves at a rate that is equal to or faster than the rate at which the games improve generally you will still win.
Old 08-11-2005, 12:56 PM

just work on game selection.. they are still there and will be here for a while.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my first post so forgive me if I am redundant or in the wrong spot.

Arethe games tighting up on Party at even the lower limits and are the loose players being driven out? That is are the profit making opportunities being driven out of the game as more people flock to try and become pros? I am an economist and this is what we would expect to happen given the incredilbe profit opportunites that were present a couple of years ago. Profits bring more skilled players into the market which drives down profits.

On a personal note I took up the game in earnest in April and it seems to me that the games have tighted up at Party significantly since then. It seems the line ups for the highest average pot tables have increased and ther are fewer of them at the .5/1 to 3/6 limits. Would you guys agree with this observation.

Like many I aspire to go pro someday but wonder if the opportunity will still be there for me in say a year or two once my game has improved enough? Do you think there will be so many skilled players playing in the next two years that profit opportunites willl eveaporate?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason this made me think:

"It's a long way to the top, if you want to rock n roll."

I think it is relevant in some roundabout barley related way.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes me think of Pat Boone's "In a Metal Mood" CD.

As for the games...

They will always be changing. The laws of natural selection definitely apply. Those who can adjust and adapt to changing conditions will be the ones who will prevail.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Like many I aspire to go pro someday

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm playing pro now. I aspire to get back into Engineering as soon as possible. 8-tabling 40hrs+/wk is no picnic. It's not glamorous. People look at you funny when you explain what you do. The money's good but it's not as good of a career as you seem to think. I used to enjoy holdem. When I get back to doing it just part time I hope I enjoy it again.

To answer your question...I don't think so. Not much anyway if at all.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
This makes me think of Pat Boone's "In a Metal Mood" CD.

As for the games...

They will always be changing. The laws of natural selection definitely apply. Those who can adjust and adapt to changing conditions will be the ones who will prevail.

[/ QUOTE ]

One encouraging thing to thing about is the fact that the natural selection pressures upon poker players do not necessarily push them immediately toward optimal play. Rather, they probably push them toward safe or break even type play.

The first step in the evolution of many a small/mid limit player seems to be toward tight-weakness. This is not the same as toward "good poker." You will simply need to recognize the tight-weak players and figure out how you can profit from there mistakes. (Hint: play aggressively).
Old 08-11-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is my first post so forgive me if I am redundant or in the wrong spot.

Arethe games tighting up on Party at even the lower limits and are the loose players being driven out? That is are the profit making opportunities being driven out of the game as more people flock to try and become pros? I am an economist and this is what we would expect to happen given the incredilbe profit opportunites that were present a couple of years ago. Profits bring more skilled players into the market which drives down profits.

On a personal note I took up the game in earnest in April and it seems to me that the games have tighted up at Party significantly since then. It seems the line ups for the highest average pot tables have increased and ther are fewer of them at the .5/1 to 3/6 limits. Would you guys agree with this observation.

Like many I aspire to go pro someday but wonder if the opportunity will still be there for me in say a year or two once my game has improved enough? Do you think there will be so many skilled players playing in the next two years that profit opportunites willl eveaporate?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

yes. theyre drying up. i can hardly play on party without completely crushing a bunch of idiots. it really sucks.(sarcasm)

rj