Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-28-2004, 08:10 PM

Default Re: 30-60 9-6 suited hand

you should bet unless it's that one kid you keep checking the nuts against on the river. if it's him you should check again.
Old 08-28-2004, 08:44 PM

Check the river. You put the last bet on the turn, remember? The only way a bet gets you any more money here is if he's dumb enough to go crazy with 64. He'd have to be a pretty big fish to do that. Is he that big of a fish? If he is it's possible he flopped a set and just couldn't believe you would raise with something like 96 or 64. His check on the river might mean he's convinced you could have KK.

Most likely he has 96o and stopped raising when he realized you were on a freeroll.
Old 08-28-2004, 09:34 PM

could be he made a set on the turn, thinks you were betting bigger set. but then again, bad players usually dont think.
theres only one realistic hand he could be betting on the turn that you can beat 46 (would go that far with 78?)
normally id say check it, youve gotten way more from the pot than could be expected if you win, and if youre beat, you saved 1 or 2 bets. but is this guy that went 10 bets now all of a sudden capable of a check raise after filling? usually the people i play with that make a hand wouldnt risk not getting paid and would bet out.
ahh heck, im still gonna say check it to the 5s full [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 08-28-2004, 10:10 PM

As everyone has already said, I'd bet. I doubt many players are balsy enough to go for a checkraise here.

-Diplomat
Old 08-28-2004, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All fold to me in the cutoff and I raise with 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]6 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Button folds, SB folds, BB calls. BB is very loose and plays way way to many hands and bets too much with anything post flop.

Now, before you go on reading and making any comments, I don't need a twoplustwo lecture on stealing with 9-6 suited. I would like you to comment on my river play and that's it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, this ain't Burger King! You don't get to have it your way! Why don't you tell us why you raised here when you have this particular player in the BB?
Old 08-29-2004, 03:48 AM

Default Results

I decide to bet one more time, and I got check-raised and called.

No, Mike, it's not the kid, this guy was not as bad and aggresive as the kid, but close.

BB showed K-7 offsuit.

Yes, the steal of was off timing but in good position to do so and at the time I was getting a little too much respect on my raises so I had to vary the play up a little.

I was seriously going to check the way down if I did not hit because I knew the BB was capable of calling me down with even Queen high so I would not bluff him out.

There's a debate on whether or not 9-6 suited warrants a steal against a loose blind who is very defensive, but I flopped a pretty decent flop for my hand and couldn't ask for more.
Old 08-29-2004, 03:51 AM

Default Re: Results

I'm still trying to figure out why you checked the flop, despite your justification.

-Diplomat
Old 08-29-2004, 04:09 AM

Hi Lawrence:

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, the steal of was off timing but in good position to do so and at the time I was getting a little too much respect on my raises so I had to vary the play up a little.

[/ QUOTE ]

But you described a player who wouldn't be paying any attention to how you play. So even though some of the others might be giving you too much respect, this person certainly won't. Furthermore, he proved that's the case by going all those bets with you on the turn.

Best wishes,
Mason
Old 08-30-2004, 08:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But you described a player who wouldn't be paying any attention to how you play. So even though some of the others might be giving you too much respect, this person certainly won't.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think he was saying that he was trying to make an impression on the big blind. Since this player is described as calling too much, this clearly isn't the guy he wants respecting his raises more. He is saying that the rest of the table is respecting his raises too much and that he hopes that showing down 96s will make an impression on them. Even though his opponent on the hand isn't observant, he still has the possiblity of influencing the players who are by showing this hand down. And if you want to show down a bad hand, that means you have to play a bad hand; so choosing to play it against the worst player at the table can be a sensible decision (assuming the "observant" players aren't only observant about the hands in which they are involved and that they will incorrectly think that your raise here is representative of how you will play against them). Not that I'm saying I like the raise with 96s, but I think it is a little more sensible than you are giving it credit for.
Old 08-30-2004, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a debate on whether or not 9-6 suited warrants a steal against a loose blind who is very defensive, but I flopped a pretty decent flop for my hand and couldn't ask for more.

[/ QUOTE ]

You put the ", but" in your sentence like it adds more than absolutely zero to the discussion you are referring to. I respectfully disagree [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]