Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: How good was Johnny Moss?

He wasn't very good in the $20-$40 at the Horseshoe like around 15 years ago.
Old 02-17-2005, 11:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Writing one book about poker and knowing the math behind does not mean you are as good a poker player as a legend.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being a legend doesn't make you good at poker.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying Moss wasn't good at poker?

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you have any clue as to whether he was a good poker player or not? I would imagine I have more evidence than you do.
-James
Old 02-17-2005, 11:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Writing one book about poker and knowing the math behind does not mean you are as good a poker player as a legend.

[/ QUOTE ]

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you saying you have any clue as to whether he was a good poker player or not? I would imagine I have more evidence than you do.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about either way. You're just another a guy on the internet pretending he has a clue.

I don't know for a fact whether Moss was a good player or not, but I do know a number of highly respected people in the poker world do, and I think I'm going to have to trust their opinion over yours, if you don't mind.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

Frankly I don't think you have any idea what you're talking about either way. You're just another a guy on the internet pretending he has a clue.

I don't know for a fact whether Moss was a good player or not, but I do know a number of highly respected people in the poker world do, and I think I'm going to have to trust their opinion over yours, if you don't mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which respected people in the poker world? I'm going on the word of David Sklanksy and Mason Malmuth, whose personal testimony do you have? Also, I never said Moss wasn't a good poker player, your reading comprehension needs work.
-James
Old 02-18-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-James

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Which respected people in the poker world? I'm going on the word of David Sklanksy and Mason Malmuth, whose personal testimony do you have? Also, I never said Moss wasn't a good poker player, your reading comprehension needs work.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

That Moss was not good is precisely what you are implying and you state it again in this post, so spare me the idiotic internet babble about reading comprehension.

Any number of respected writers have written about Moss, and many of them quote poker figures who know a thing or two about the game and say he was good. I've never seen Miller or Sklansky say he wasn't, but you tell me you have. Once again, I'll be going with the dozens of other players and writers who had firsthand experience with him on this one. I'll also go ahead and figure his two world series wins (diluted though they were) had to have meant something.

Basically, I think you're full of [censored] and you want to look like a big man by insulting Moss. It's petty, cheap, and you can't really back it up with anything other than through a couple of personal anecdotes.
Old 02-18-2005, 12:37 AM

Whatcha gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild on you, brother?
Old 02-18-2005, 01:21 AM

i can tell you. i started playing with moss in 1970. and played alot with him until he dropped down in limits as he got very old. he played very good no limit holdem when younger for high stakes. in limit poker he was terrible. i got my start following him around and playing him headup seven stud every day at the stardust.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:27 AM

SNAP INTO A SLIM JIM. Oh, wrong wrestler.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Whatcha gonna do when Hulkamania runs wild on you, brother?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's rare that I laugh out loud while reading things on this forum.
-James
Old 02-18-2005, 01:29 AM

It doesn't make me a big man to insult anybody, and I'm not insulting him. I simply stated that being a legend doesn't make you a great anything. This is especially true in poker where real skill is almost totally unquantifiable. But, Hulk Hogan, I wouldn't expect you to understand that.
-James