Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2004, 04:59 PM

Default Re: Getting a coach or private poker lessons. Do you think you need one?

Even a very small difference in perception, or point of view about playing a hand could add thousands of dollars to a player in your position. When I first saw Tommy's site, I thought his cost was outrageous. Now, after playing a year of online and seeing what could be made by moving up from $5/$10 to $15/$30, the cost seems minimal.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 05:15 PM

Default Re: Getting a coach or private poker lessons. Do you think you need one?

What is Tommy's site?
Old 10-17-2004, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the cost seems minimal.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tommy's rates seem very reasonable for either the complete neophite, or the experianced grinder who needs a signifigant shot in the arm to take it up to the next level. I don't know about Tommy's qualifications, but his price is actually affordable for a one on one session. Ever try to have a 2 day one on one with a professor or a business consultant? Its much more expensive than Tommy!

TT in da club [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 07:33 PM

Default Where can we look into it?

Does anyone have any resources about who is a good/bad coach, prices, experiences? It seems we have many people interested, but a lot don't know where to go to actually find coaches.

-JDanz
Old 10-17-2004, 07:56 PM

Default Re: Where can we look into it?

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have any resources about who is a good/bad coach, prices, experiences? It seems we have many people interested, but a lot don't know where to go to actually find coaches.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Jdanz,

Like some posters have said here, Tommy Angelo is one of them. I am also thinking about approaching some world class players as well and if they will allow me to release any privvy information, then I will post it back on the board.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:00 PM

Bob Ciaffone's email address is thecoach@chartermi.net. Not only is he one of the best pot limit authors out there, he makes a living on the side as poker coach. For more info visit his site - Bob's Website

TT in da club [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Old 10-17-2004, 08:08 PM

For what it's worth, Al Schoonmaker gives some suggestions in this thread. No prices though. I've also seen a couple other threads that mentioned some specifics. You could probably find these in a search.

I wonder if this kind of thing will ever get organized to the point that you could look up, say, a 2+2 accredited Hold'em coach.
Old 10-17-2004, 09:57 PM

Default Gonores

You're good enough to make 60K in 60 days online, yet still think about needing a coach. I find that amazing. It says a lot about something, I'm just not sure what it is. Is it because your online game is mechanical and you're on auto-pilot, or some other reason?

I sound confused and I am. I'd think you're skill level and mastery of being a winner would be hard to build upon.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:18 PM

If you are "man" enough to accept advice from someone you disagree with I think it would be great. I was thinking more along the lines of an approach to teaching, not an approach to poker when I made that comment. I don't think SKlansky's style would suit everyone, although he could undoubtably teach almost all of us something.

Incidently I think most poker players wouldn't accept coaching from someone who thought differently about the game than they did, which probably dooms them to their present level of play anyway.
Old 10-17-2004, 10:48 PM

Default Re: Gonores

FWIW, it's very possible that someone who can make 2.5bb/100 at the 10/20 6max (gonores was basing his challenge on something like that I believe) could barely beat a tough 30/60 game. Now, I know this is not the case w/ gonores, as he definitely understands more about poker than being able to beat the ram-and-jam laggro 6-max games. But someone could easily make 60k in 60 days in that game and be far, far from expert status - in fact, they could quite possibly get there without very advanced poker skills at all.