Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2004, 09:10 AM

Default Re: About Mattias Anderson

I didnt like Mattias at first, but then he really started to grow on me.

Sure, his celebrating is certainly not my and many other peoples styles, but I think it was just genuine emotion and not arrogance. After his celebrating he always shook peoples hands and complimented them.

The celebrating can get annoying, but I also think it comes off worse then it was because of the time lapse.

To me, he came off as a kid who was really excited to be there who wasnt afraid to show major emotion in a major stressful tournament.
Old 09-22-2004, 08:09 PM

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-22-2004, 08:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Imagine you're a young kid who makes it to the final table at the WSOP. What do you think you'd say in your journal? I guarantee it wouldn't be completely level-headed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree! I also think that his grasp of English is not the greatest which made some comments come off bad.

He was just excited and his emotions overflowed. Everyone has a different personality and they show there excitement in different ways. I never heard a comment on Ferguson doing the Arsenio move. Or what about that guy who slammed his hat and sent napkins flying?

In that kind of enviroment I could not say how I would act. Most people who enter those tournaments figure they are going to lose. When they finally realize that they have a chance the emotions go into overdrive. Was it over the top? Probably. Was it disrespectful? No! Big difference in my opinion.

I think the same thing applies to Hellmuth. When I see him asking himself. "What the hell is going on here"? I think he is just saying what he is thinking. I know when I am playing I think to myself. I just dont verbalize it. If something like the Matusow and Raymer thing happens then that is wrong. Otherwise just accept peoples competitive nature.
Old 09-22-2004, 10:12 PM

Default Re: About Mattias Anderson - cheating/softplaying

[ QUOTE ]
I also remember that JCastle was not in such good shape so when I had pocket 3īs and i missed the flop and was first to act, I did not bluff him because I sort off wanted JCastle to win this pot...Crazy you would think but we had 5 percent of each other.
I felt that he did not hit the flop but I checked anyway so he bets!
I tell him this during the break and he told me that he was bluffing!

[/ QUOTE ]

I love he admits to soft-playing a friend he has a piece of.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:07 AM

Yea, you esp. have to like the part where he talks about cheating. What s scum bag.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:05 AM

wait wait, so why are so many people giving josh arieh the benefit of the doubt now, but not mattias? hell, i'm not saying anything about either of them, but people will say "ESPN only made josh look bad" but then mattias "comes off looking bad." either they all look bad on tv or they don't.
Old 09-24-2004, 01:47 AM

with mattias... I dunno, maybe it felt more like you were getting the full flavor? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-24-2004, 02:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wait wait, so why are so many people giving josh arieh the benefit of the doubt now, but not mattias?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my brief tenure as a participant here this must be the sixteen zillionth time I've seen someone take two completely dissimilar situations and try to draw some far-fetched parallel as if it were self-apparent. You guys may save me from this time sink yet.

What is it this time? "They both came off kind of badly, albeit for completely different reasons and with every detail different, but on this vague basis you're somehow duty-bound to have the exact same opinion of each of them."

[ QUOTE ]
either they all look bad on tv or they don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brilliantly nuanced.
Old 09-24-2004, 10:17 AM

come now, paul...i've really enjoy the things you write, especially your livejournal, but don't patronize me. i'm attempting to figure out why immediately after Arieh's performances air, people ride him constantly. i'll get some quotes from previous threads later, if you'd like. but then somebody famous, respected comes and defends him, and after josh himself posts his feelings, all seems forgiven. yet, even though i wasn't a big fan of mattias (and if he did indeed cheat like that, it's pretty dirty), somebody has now stepped up to defend his name, and yet still people ride this kid. granted, some of his antics were probably over the top, but i can't say for sure that i wouldn't be doing the same thing, and unless someone here has such an unexpected run in the WSOP, it's hard to say they wouldn't do it too.

so, let me get this straight -- espn can show josh arieh belittle harry demetriou (sp?), literally stand and insult the man, but we can let that slide. yet anderson screams (loudly) and he's being skewered here? for a board that seems to uphold the dignity of this game, i find this hard to believe. now, anderson is the face of some threads with images and "daaaaaaahhhhhh" marquees.

don't worry, paul -- i'll save you from this time sink!
Old 09-24-2004, 10:56 AM

If you read Paul's LJ, you'd see that he explained EXCACTLY the difference between Arieh and Anderson.

Arieh said things that were lame, but he didn't yell out to a whole room in a plea for attention over a somewhat meaningless hand.