Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2005, 05:22 PM

Default Re: Continuation bet - how far?

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, time to show my ignorance. I don't see how we have the best hand if there is an A2/Q2/33 out there against us. Perhaps you meant or hand protection? It's still a bluff in the sense that you have a very weak draw without the best hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was referring to hand protection. Many opponents here would fold those hands to a flop continuation bet and that would be great for you as it increases the chance you'll win the pot.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You could be exposing yourself to a c/r. This depends on villain, but if they know you bet with big cards+draw, and figure this is more likely than big pair, then they may be check-raising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure you could. This isn't the end of the world though when you have a big draw - and likely means they'll pay you off when you hit. And isn't it great when you get check/raised on a T72 board holding KK?

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like betting into 3-4 players after the flop misses, especially if I don't have any draw (short of runner, runner & pairing overcards).

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't change the fact that it can be the right play. But it's not often necessary to bet into that many players. 1-2 opponents is almost manditory though on most boards.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm talking about a LAGgy table here, not a bunch of LPPs.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's one thing if they are a bunch of maniacs, but lags are often reasonable players postflop and will fold when they miss. Folding 1-2 players with a flop bet will do wonders to increase the likelyhood of you winning. And it still may be a valuebet with the best hand.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hand 1: check behind on the turn. You picked up a gutshot and this board is as drawless as they get. You are very likely to be up against a made hand here. Try to hit and fold the river if you miss.

Hand 2: Call or fold the flop. I prefer folding. BB bet into 2 players on a drawless board - call if you want to try and hit your A/K, but you have to fold the turn unimproved.

Hand 3: Here I bet again. You have a made hand which is unlikely to improve. You'll get some value when someone calls you down with a worse pair. It's much better to bet the turn here and fold the river unimproved or check behind. If, after betting, you get check/raised on the turn or bet into on the river, you should usually fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much how I play these hands. I don't fold the flop in hand 2, we're getting 9:1 on our call and BB could be donking this with any pieceof the board.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:38 PM

I posted a bit of a quiz to help in my own continuation bet lines here about two weeks ago. May help.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:40 PM

I definitely prefer raising the flop in hand #2 to flat calling since most players I've found in Party low limit will give you a free turn card if you miss so why not raise the pot and go for the free card? You can always fold if bet into on the turn but I find most times you will get two chances to spike your overcards for only one Sb. If you flat call you're asking to be bet into on the turn which is no fun if you don't improve.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:50 PM

I didn't know a "continuation bet" was even a part of limit hold em. I'm familiar with the term in NL as it is defined in Harrington's books (HoH 1&2).

Basically a continuation bet is when you as the preflop bettor bet again on the flop when the flop has missed you

Here is a good HoH summary: You have AKo, you obviously raise preflop, say you get 1-2 callers, flop comes 3 number cards, rainbow. If you make the next action it would be a continuation bet and should typically be in the range of about half the pot. Whether or not you should make a continuation bet depends on

1. The number of opponents, the fewer the better.
2. The ragged'ness of the flop. The more ragged the better.
3. The tightness of your opponents, the tighter the better.

If the conditions are right you make the contination bet. By making it 1/2 the pot you only need to succeed 1 out of 3 times to make it a break even play. This is of course assuming you are "stealing" the pot, as you very well might not be and still could have the best hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:52 PM

*BUMP*

I needed a reminder myself. I am dying a death of a thousand cuts at the moment against the muppets on Party. I'm bleeding sooooooo much.

I played an entire session this morning for (.5BB). I think I could count the number of times people folded to my continuation bets on one hand.

Make some money.....read.

[censored] mother [censored] you called with Q2 you [censored]!

Rant over....enjoy.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:19 PM

1. Check, one of 'em has you beat and will call

2. Check, you raised in the off chance you'll get a free card, may as well take it without much going for you. He bet into a PFR on an uncoordinated flop so he has either a decent PP he will showdown or a Q he is hoping has showdown value.

3. I bet. No one has stood up to you thus far and if they finally do I would drop it. If it goes to river I probably take a free showdown with two overcards not scaring him away...