Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: What\'s Up With Dogs

Big dogs in small apartments is kind of sad, I think. And all dogs that don't get a chance to really run like hell aren't living it up much. It's just their nature to be active and run like crazy. Even the lazy ones like it, once they get the chance.

Cats seem better for apartments, to me. And since they sleep 18 hours a day, you don't have to feel so bad about leaving them alone. Or about their asses and bladders bursting all day as they wait for you to come home and let them out. It's a miracle that dogs learn so well to hold it for so damn long, and without deadly consequence. I doubt many people could hold a pee or a poop that had to come out for a whole day, and have read that people have died trying.

If you socialize the heck out of a cat, they can become surprisingly dog like. Follow you everywhere, great you at the door every day, can't get enough of you, etc. You just can't roughhouse with them and intrude on their space like you can with dogs or people. But once you let them have their own space and feel like they're free and not trapped, they're not wary and stand-offish any more. It's just that we have to adapt to them a little, and that's a little weird for us. We don't really have to adapt to dogs at all.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is turning into a picture of your dog thread, I like it! Here's my contribution, my pup when he was 11 weeks old, along with my lovely wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be the only one who thinks it's embarassingly over-earnest to refer to your spouse as "lovely." Have some self-respect people, please.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:39 PM

Unless you're an outdoor fitness nut, a big or medium dog probably won't get the exercise he needs to keep his spirits totally healthy and his health optimum. I don't think many people have the commitment to regularly exercise their dogs.

That's why a dog is probably better if you're already really settled down, too. A young guy out looking for girls all the time, and being really active about going out and hanging with friends, just establishing his career, etc., doesn't really have all that much quiet time alone, or inclination to spend it walking dogs. Even with great intentions and being a real dog lover, the temptation to come home a little later because you grabbed a few drinks right after work with friends or guys from the office is pretty normal and frequent, and in the meantime your dog's going to be dying to take a crap. It's not ideal.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:44 PM

If you wanted a dog, would you go purebreed or mutt? I know this is a can of worms, because there are so many homeless dogs out there, but I'd be interested in hearing arguments both ways.

Also, can you have a dog housebroken by an obedience school, or does the dog have to be in the actual house it will be living to be trained what to do and not do?

There is one dog I kind of like - Italian Greyhound. Anyone have any knowledge about that dog. I was just reading about them - them seem like pretty cool dogs.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is turning into a picture of your dog thread, I like it! Here's my contribution, my pup when he was 11 weeks old, along with my lovely wife.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be the only one who thinks it's embarassingly over-earnest to refer to your spouse as "lovely." Have some self-respect people, please.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh man, this is why your one of my favorites. excellent work.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you wanted a dog, would you go purebreed or mutt? I know this is a can of worms, because there are so many homeless dogs out there, but I'd be interested in hearing arguments both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got both and would recommend either. If your going for a purebreed pick one whose temperment agrees with you. IMO it's more of an effort in picking out a purebreed as I think it's wise to check out the breeder personally. Also if you buy one from a breeder and it's show quality the breeder will probably want you to show it. So if you don't want to show your dog you probably should shy away from show quality. And yep the breeders often want to check you out as well. Also there are issues regarding spaying and neutering as well as AKC registration if you want to show your dog. I've got a mutt that was abandoned as a pup. I regularly take it to a kennel to socialize with other dogs and the comments I get are that he's a great dog and I concur whole heartedly. I couldn't be more pleased with him.

[ QUOTE ]
Also, can you have a dog housebroken by an obedience school, or does the dog have to be in the actual house it will be living to be trained what to do and not do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I housebroke my dogs at home and I'm not sure how you'd accomplish it in an obedience class at least not with the techniques I used. Most dogs get it pretty fast but I have a dog door at my home where they come and go as the please pretty much. I think that helps alot.

[ QUOTE ]
There is one dog I kind of like - Italian Greyhound. Anyone have any knowledge about that dog. I was just reading about them - them seem like pretty cool dogs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't know much about this breed.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:24 PM

I really don't care about show quality. So I guess a dog can be purebreed and not show quality? I'm guessing this means a couple physical blemishes here and there.

What's the purebreed procedure - find the closest breeder to you, go there, pick your puppy, pay the breeder, and he gives you the dog and some type of certification papers? Is that all?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:32 PM

my wonderful dog.

how can you say no to that face?
Old 07-11-2005, 08:34 PM

because your other alternative is a cat and cats suck.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:34 PM

I got to see this lovely mug coming after my face at work last night.