Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-20-2005, 04:39 PM

Default Re: My poker coach is unfair...

[ QUOTE ]
Do you think doctors waste their time reading "medical journals" or lawyers waste their time studying "legal briefs"??? Hell no they don't, and as an equally astute professional you shouldn't waste your time...

Remember the poker proverb:
Give a man a hard and fast chart on how to play hold'em and he plays for a day.
Teach a man how to think about hold'em and......he grows bored because this is not a fast enough way to make money.

[/ QUOTE ]
Awesome.
Old 11-20-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No offense, but are you married? Have you ever prepared for having a child? Would you know if it takes 20 hours a day or 2 hours a day? I consider myself a very hard worker and you seem to be just as hard on me (and lacking understanding) as my coach.

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 11-20-2005, 07:31 PM

my friend linked me this post, and I dont think this is me. I assign harder hw problems, obv.
Old 11-20-2005, 08:27 PM

When your boss at your old job asked you to spend 20 minutes sorting through some files (or changing the fry grease, as it were), did you also duck away from that?

it sounds to me like you want poker to be your main job, but you also want to keep thinking of it as just a game for fun.

i'd say pick one or the other, man.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I hired a poker coach to assist me in improving my game. I currently play 3/6 6 max and 5/10 6 max. He spends a good amount of time with me, but recently he asked me to do a couple math problems (calculating how many times a hand like 98s hits the flop well, and doing the same with 97s), and I have not done them this past week even though I said I would. I don't think he understands that I'm married with a child on the way, and although I just freed up 40 hours a week by quitting my job to play poker full time, I've just not had the time to sit down and crunch the numbers. He argues that it would only take 20 minutes each max, so I should have done it by now, and that I'm only making excuses. Do you think he's being harsh, or do you think I should have somehow done these? Is he being unfair? Unreasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your coach sucks and I bet he plays 15/30 and barely beats it. That, or he's telling all his buddies over AIM how he's going to get some married guy to calculate stupid [censored] for him. To all the people saying he should suck it up and solve these problems, please go back to playing 2/4 and stop giving advice. The fact is for all purposes 98s and 97s are the same thing. The difference between these two hands is probably .02 bb, yet I'm sure this guy is making errors that are on the magnitude of almost a full big bet.

Please get a new coach.

Edit: Get a real job too. If you are crushing the games and have no dependants it can sometimes be hard. If you aren't sure you're winning much, and have to pay bills. . well. .

Old 11-21-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I hired a poker coach to assist me in improving my game. I currently play 3/6 6 max and 5/10 6 max. He spends a good amount of time with me, but recently he asked me to do a couple math problems (calculating how many times a hand like 98s hits the flop well, and doing the same with 97s), and I have not done them this past week even though I said I would. I don't think he understands that I'm married with a child on the way, and although I just freed up 40 hours a week by quitting my job to play poker full time, I've just not had the time to sit down and crunch the numbers. He argues that it would only take 20 minutes each max, so I should have done it by now, and that I'm only making excuses. Do you think he's being harsh, or do you think I should have somehow done these? Is he being unfair? Unreasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your coach sucks and I bet he plays 15/30 and barely beats it. That, or he's telling all his buddies over AIM how he's going to get some married guy to calculate stupid [censored] for him. To all the people saying he should suck it up and solve these problems, please go back to playing 2/4 and stop giving advice. The fact is for all purposes 98s and 97s are the same thing. The difference between these two hands is probably .02 bb, yet I'm sure this guy is making errors that are on the magnitude of almost a full big bet.

Please get a new coach.

Edit: Get a real job too. If you are crushing the games and have no dependants it can sometimes be hard. If you aren't sure you're winning much, and have to pay bills. . well. .

[/ QUOTE ]

Is your coach Mr. Miyagi from the Karate Kid? It sounds like the wax-on, wax-off approach to poker.
Old 11-21-2005, 05:49 PM

This is a spoof post, right?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:56 PM

how old are you?
Old 11-21-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
WTF? Why would you go pro playing 3/6??

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2005, 07:32 PM