Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2004, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Science says no

Empirical psychology done right is just as good as hard science. And I never said you should 'keep things bottled up.' There are many ways to relieve stress other than beating the sh*t out of something with a baseball bat. (Exercise, sex, yoga, meditatoin, etc. etc.)
Old 12-07-2004, 04:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Empirical psychology done right is just as good as hard science

[/ QUOTE ]
Its better than that, it is science, soft, hard whatever, science.
And yes, Freuds Cathexis and Primal Scream therapy type stuff have pretty much been debunked. All jokes aside finding something to smash when your worked up just isnt terribly healthy. It is a better alternative than say drinking or gambling, but yes for the love of god find a harmless coping strategy that RELAXES you when your worked up.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Empirical psychology done right is just as good as hard science. And I never said you should 'keep things bottled up.' There are many ways to relieve stress other than beating the sh*t out of something with a baseball bat. (Exercise, sex, yoga, meditatoin, etc. etc.)

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sorry, but is that Bubb Rubb in your avatar?
The whistles go WHOOOO WHOOOOOO.

Yeah, and good posts and stuff....

Freakin
Old 12-07-2004, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this is getting way off topic, so I'll let you have the last word with whatever you want to say after this...

To clarify what I said about Psychology. In other sciences you can predict exactly what will happen given certain circumstances. For example, we know that if the atmospheric pressure is held constant, two different containers of pure water (H20) will always boil at the exact same temperature anywhere on earth. And of course, 2+2=4 always. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

However, you cannot predict with 100% certainty how two different persons will react to the exact same stimulus. Sure, based on detailed history, you can predict that one reaction is much more likely than the other, but you can never say that the unexpected reaction won't occur. If this were not so, we wouldn't be human.

So... back to the matter at hand. There's no easy way of knowing what will work for this guy. Yoga might be better than bashing in stuff with the baseball bat for some people, but the converse might be true for him. I don't know any more than you do.
Old 12-07-2004, 06:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
However, you cannot predict with 100% certainty how ... will react to the exact same stimulus. Sure, based on detailed history, you can predict that one reaction is much more likely than the other, but you can never say that the unexpected reaction won't occur.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, by this definition, quantum physics is a soft science?
Old 12-07-2004, 07:37 AM

Default Re: I just demolished my Pacific bankroll

[ QUOTE ]
Whew, I don't want to sound cruel, but it sounds from this paragraph like you're headed for inevitable disaster, and maybe you shouldn't be gambling for living.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Not good.

If you are living off your bankroll (poker is sole source of income) then you should NOT be playing 10/20 with only 10k in total.

My bankroll requirements are more conservative then some....a bit wilder than others. But I think they're reasonable.
I believe you should seperate out 2x your approximate monthly-nut (and round-up a bit here)...and the rest is your true POKER bankroll...and have 500BB's for the limit you are playing at.

Thus....if you have a monthly nut of $1800 or so I would round this up to $2k.
2 months is $4k.
So now you have $6k remaining for poker bank-roll.
At 500 BB you would be good at 5/10 or lower.

This is assuming that ALL the money in your poker-side of the bankroll is expressly for POKER ONLY (the day-trading money doesn't get to co-mingle as being part of your poker-roll).

If you are just playing with 300-400BB total (not taking any out for monthly-nut, etc) then when you drop 50-100BB (which WILL happen sometimes) you are far more likely to get a bit panicky about having to go back to that $10/hr job, etc etc.
With a bankroll that is MORE than necessary you will save yourself much of the psychological trauma that can accompany a really lousy session.

I assume you multi-table.
there is no reason why a disciplined and competent multi-tabler shouldn't be able to make $1k/wk ($50k/yr).
This is just $25/hr X 40 hours a week.
So at 3/6 this is playing 4 tables and winning 1BB/hr on each table (or...having a win-rate around 1.6-1.7BB/100).

As we all know...$50k/yr beats $10/hr in the REAL work-world ANY day.

Another way of thinking about it:
Everytime you sit down at a table you need to be prepared for the possibility of LOSING 50BB's. Because, no matter how good a player you are, it can VERY EASILY happen.
So, before sitting at the 10/20 game you need to be able to honestly ask yourself "Am I fully prepared to lose $1000 (just two buy-in's of 25BB) if the moron with 83o keeps sucking out on me?"

If you suspect it will lead to smashing your keyboard then you should NOT be playing at that level. It's beyond your emotional-bankroll (or psychological-bankroll).

Play at a level where you can emotionally handle a loss of 50BB.

There is usually a discussion or three of this type of stuff going on in the psych forum.
Play low enough where you feel comfortable with the swings.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:00 AM

joedot, you should learn to accept things if you can't change it: money lost are gone, there are no such thing as "recoup".
Same is about living off poker - give it up if it's too difficult for you to maintain self-control. Forgive yourself and start again doing all the best if you can, or give up and try something else.
I don't teach you, sometimes I have very same problem so I told this for myself too.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:28 AM

Minimizing tilt is one of the underrated virtues of a great poker player.
Old 12-07-2004, 10:31 AM

Geronimo
Old 12-07-2004, 02:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

So, by this definition, quantum physics is a soft science?

[/ QUOTE ]

dicto simpliciter
ignoratio elenchi
plurium interrogationum

[img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]