Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Calling Station

Min-raise the turn.

Raise the river.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:40 PM

Valuepop him smally on either the turn or river. More money should go inte the pot on these streets.
Old 04-16-2005, 01:59 PM

With him raising preflop and it being PP 25 NL, I would raise pretty big preflop. Most people on 25 NL will call if they reraise you preflop and they won't have AA. (Mostly)
Old 04-16-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to trap this guy since I was in position.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this was your intention, I don't understand why you didn't raise. If you planned to trap him, you must have ruled out AA, right? Unless you suspected that he would continue to lead out with unimproved overs, I think a raise is in order somewhere ( I would have raised the river for sure, probably the turn also to gauge how much he likes his hand). But having "no read on the villain" I would think you would have to raise at some point to trap him.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:00 PM

The key to this situation is the stakes. At a 1/2 or 2/4 NL game, I would like your line a lot (though even then I would reraise the river).

At party .1/.25, I think the best route is reraising preflop. Make it 7 to go, and bet something like 8, 12, 16 to get yourself all in by the river. The vast majority of players with QQ/JJ and worse will not go away on that board, and while you don't induce bluffs from AK (something I see far too often at small stakes), AK will call your pf reraise and some idiots will even call your flop bet (or even all the way down!).

So not a bad line, but a little too cautious for a hand as strong as KK in a game as soft as 25 NL

-Kings
Old 04-16-2005, 03:10 PM

I'd raise the flop.

Failing that, I'd raise the turn.

Failing that, I'd raise the river.

See a trend here?

There's 2 hands that crush you here, AA and TT. I won't rule out TT but I think it's much less likely than the other options of AA/KK/QQ/JJ/AK

I dont think the flop call is horrid as long as you are fully intending on applying heat on the turn. You get more money in the pot and tie him into it that much more... because really, you are ahead here a lot more times than you are not. At this point on the turn, QQ and JJ are likely going to stack off against you. If he has AA... life sucks, but we all face KK vs AA and you get it the other way around as well. I'm fairly fatalistic about that at lower limits, I just am not going to get blown off my KK fearing AA.
Old 04-16-2005, 03:59 PM

Given that he had AK, a likely candidate for a preflop reraise at 25NL, seems like the way to stack this guy was to reraise preflop and let him push in preflop or on the flop. People overplay AK alot at 25NL and I completely forgot to consider that he may have been overplaying this hand in particular.

I think if I had pushed the flop he would have called anyways. Minraising the turn might have worked too although I wouldn't have been able to get anything from him on the river unless he open-pushed-bluffed.

Was an interesting hand to play, and I think my line came close to maximizing profits given that he only had A high.

Given his likely hand range, a turn minraise followed by a river push isn't a bad option.

I agree that at 25NL I should have raised preflop, flop, turn, or river. But exactly where I should have raised still isn't clear to me. One of those hands where you gotta raise somewhere but you don't wanna let your opponent off the hook to easily if he's got A-high.
Old 04-16-2005, 04:22 PM

I generally hate minraises, but minraising or close to it on the turn looks attractive here. The downside is you may not be able to get him to go to the felt on the river if a non A/K falls.
Old 04-17-2005, 01:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Trapping can easily backfire but there is very little upside to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Getting JJ and QQ to bet into you on a board of unders doesn't count because....?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because if a player with JJ or QQ will lose a significant amount of money on a flop of all unders, they will probably lose a significant amount of money before the flop as well.