Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 09:03 AM

Default Re: NL Cash Games

I don't believe beginners have to play limit first. In fact, I started off with real money after playing with play money for a year (mainly in SnG tounreys, but also sum limits and no limits) in limits and lost about $10 in 0.25~0.5 in around an hr and a half. However, then I turned to NL and PL and made around $30 in the same length of time! I've further increased my bankroll in another SnG tourney. So if you've played at least with play money (big difference to real money but at least basic foundations) for a year and are doing well, you can consider playing Micro NL for small buy-ins...(I bought in for 5$ twice and came away with $21 and $16 respectively). But whatever you feel comfortable with.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Hank_Scorpio specifically because you seem to suggest that you think limit is a crap shoot or something. It definitely is not a crap shoot and can easily be beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I was getting at.

I was trying to point out a fundamental flaw in the OPs feelings about small stakes limit holdem - that being that its a crap shoot.

My feeling is that if you haven't gotten past this kind of thinking, then you are probably not ready for NL.
Old 09-01-2005, 10:08 AM

I agree that limit is a more skilled game - but I feel as though that is why it is a better place to start - in limit, you MUST get a good grasp of the fundamentals to be a successful player. Once you understand those fundamentals, then you can make the adjustments to play NL.

I guess its an area where there is an understandable difference of opinion.

I definitely enjoy playing NL tournaments - MTT or SNG - but I feel as though I am not yet ready to venture into NL cash games.