Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 11:06 PM

Default Re: SNG Quiz

[ QUOTE ]
The J2o thing was a bit vague. Ilya said call somewhat often with it, which maybe an overstatement IMO. You have to hit the right pot odds from the BB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. FMP to "occasionally."
Old 06-03-2005, 11:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Some people wanted to be tighter than QQ+ on the calling the SB one. I'll go out on a limb without doing the math. QQ is a call. The 1000 stacks just aren't short enough to make QQ a fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

With the other stacks at 300 and you & the SB both at 3700, QQ is an easy call IF you judge SB's range to be any 2 (+1.4%). In fact, if you're CERTAIN that SB is pushing with any 2, JJ is a call (+0.4%). However, you just can't be sure enough in practice to make calling with JJ correct. Your opponent only needs to be folding a few hands (65-) to make the call no better than break-even.
If you think your opponent is tighter than he should be (Maniac setting in Eastbay), you should only call with KK+.
If you think your opponent is stupidly tight (Loose range in Eastbay or tighter), it becomes VERY clear that you should only call with AA.
Old 06-03-2005, 11:55 PM

So, most people did answer this correctly. The answers should be obvious to every good SNGer, at least every good SNGer should have a very good idea as to the answers, and there's little doubt otherwise.

1. Push, of course. Raising to 800 as one poster suggested just encourages others to push against your raise, putting you in a position to lose a lot of equity.
2. The other guy's a 2+2er. He's not calling AK even if you're pushing any 2. Most 2+2er's range here against an unknown opponent doesn't even include QQ, for crying out loud. Against a good opponent, they call with JJ. You move in no matter what your cards are.
3. Of course, "luckbox" and "doh" are among your thoughts. If BB was calling 53s, you'd still say doh, and when BB's range is JJ-AA at most, you're not happy.
4. Somewhat general, but QQ-AA is my range, and, surprisingly for me, that's a bit loose here. Learn something new every day.
5. Yay, of course. Like ilya (I believe) said, your equity increases at least 10% from this series of events. There's very little you can do to increase your equity that much.
6. Rarely to none. Stealing blinds is paramount. You really don't want action.
7. Often, rarely. Admittedly, a bit vague, but I was trying to show "gap concept."
Old 06-04-2005, 12:07 AM

i mean if you realize that the ICM is an aid and not the answer that might help
Old 06-04-2005, 12:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
for example there are different good 2+2'ers that range in how they play that spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

this claim is akin to saying that some good tennis players try to miss the service box on their serve.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:14 AM

umm no
Old 06-04-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
umm no

[/ QUOTE ]

look, man, I am sorry about the imperiously contemptuous tone of my last comment. but fact is, there really is only 1 correct way to play here given what you are specified as knowing about the BB (namely that he's a "very good 2+2er"). just do the math and you will see that this is clearly true.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:26 AM

i mean no thats not true, situations such as how the smaller stacks play, how good the other big stack plays when ITM and the comparative level of you and the other players all change this answer, this is more mathematical than most situations but the cut and dry answers of people who can use the ICM but cant beat the 30 dollar tables is because of this, people dont understand all the circumstances that cant be added into a math equation.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i mean no thats not true, situations such as how the smaller stacks play, how good the other big stack plays when ITM and the comparative level of you and the other players all change this answer, this is more mathematical than most situations but the cut and dry answers of people who can use the ICM but cant beat the 30 dollar tables is because of this, people dont understand all the circumstances that cant be added into a math equation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I beat the $30s for 15% and once again, I assure you that there is One Correct Answer to this question. The edge you pass up here by folding 32o is simply much too large to be overcome by any other considerations.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:34 AM

lol big deal, and no, something can be -EV even if you are optimizing EV.