Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 07:37 PM

Default Re: Super Bowl Sunday TV poker

[ QUOTE ]
Its because you can't legally advertise a gambling website or some such thing. That's why there are many references to "play for free" and the disclaimer "This is not a gambling website." The .nets are apparently the "free" sides of the regular sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the networks can show them playing for millions, legally. Yeah ok whatever. Either way, the "free" part of it was way overdone. While legal, the implication is that you can play money poker for free (implying no rake, etc.). But most people know that poker is played for money, so to say it is "free" is wrong ethically. I think Greg and Chris should bury their heads in the sand over this one.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Its because you can't legally advertise a gambling website or some such thing. That's why there are many references to "play for free" and the disclaimer "This is not a gambling website." The .nets are apparently the "free" sides of the regular sites.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the networks can show them playing for millions, legally. Yeah ok whatever. Either way, the "free" part of it was way overdone. While legal, the implication is that you can play money poker for free (implying no rake, etc.). But most people know that poker is played for money, so to say it is "free" is wrong ethically. I think Greg and Chris should bury their heads in the sand over this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never saw one thing that implied rake free poker. Even when they showed them scrolling games it said free. Most people who they are directing that ad at probably don't know what a rake is. It was saying it was a good place to practice I never saw anything to make me think "rake free".
Old 02-06-2005, 09:33 PM

Right - you didn't see anything about rake-free poker with your eyes, but the implication is there nonetheless. That's exactly my point - most people won't know what a rake is, but are certainly aware that poker is played for money. The tendency would be to think that there's no charge for playing there. Also, wasn't there a comment about "you might be playing with a champ or 2" or a pro, or something similar? Like the champs would practice in play money games on these sites? Come on.
Old 02-06-2005, 09:42 PM

You are reading way to much into it. And yeah Raymer or Moneymaker or anybody else will play were they are paid to play at by the site and if they want them on the play tables they will be on the play tables some.. not often but some. I have been on UB and seen Hellmuth and Duke on the 4-8 tables, go to Full Tilt and look where the pros play. Hell the night Ivey won 500K in the live event on Fox he was on a 1-2 NL table later that same night on Full Tilt.
I see nothing false about the ads. Yeah they want you to come learn and move to money side but they aren't dangling false promises about no rake, that is all in your head.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:05 PM

Never said they were promising anything, that is all in your head.

There's a difference between implying and promising.

And honestly how long could Moneymaker or Raymer sit at the play tables with the bingo-like poker that goes on there?