Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 11:34 AM

Location: Castle Duckula -- home for many centuries to a dreadful dynasty of vicious vampire ducks: The Counts of Duckula!
Default Re: On Rudeness

Oh, you came here for an argument? Sorry, this is Abuse; Arguments is next door, in Room 12A.

(Stupid git!)

-Mike
Old 06-27-2005, 12:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Virtually every day now, I see a new member here ask a question that is steeped in misunderstanding, ignorance, laziness or newness to the subject matter. And almost every time, some more-veteran 2+2er steps in with a glib comment and tells this person in as rude-yet-brisk terms as possible that they're an idiot.

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because the poster asking the questions shows laziness by asking a question that is easily answered by using the search function.

Some questions are ok if they pop up again and again. ("how do I play JJ in EP") since it hard to search for a good answer for them. But some questions are so easy to find answers for that it is rude not use the search function before asking ("how do I change my screen name at Eurobet"). Some are downright stupid to ask about (questions about rakeback in the zoo when the sticky FAQ explicitly asks you not to ask about it).

That said, there is no reason to be overly rude of course.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know, rudeness has and always will be a part of any internet message board. Theres no way to stop it.

Best to just see it for what it really is. It's not a big deal at all once you accept it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other message boards will suspend your account for X number of days if you get particularly flagrant. I don't completely agree with this, but 2+2 could use a little more moderation in this area.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:50 PM

NH
Old 06-27-2005, 02:03 PM

Agreed with MrZ.
Temporary suspensions wouldn't be a half-bad idea for those who are close to the line.
Right now it seems we either have post-deletion or account-banning. Not much in-between.

Anyway, of course I agree with what ElSapo has to say also.
I have found myself giving more curt 1-line responses of late (much to the joy of many a 2+2'er who is tired of reading through all my rambling-crap).

Sometimes I'm polite to the newbies...heck, I think I was one of the only one's who slowed-down and took the time to explain bonus-frequency on empire to WackoJacko.
I have also actually been polite to some spammers by just explaining that 'spamming isn't allowed here for such-and-such reason' operating on the assumption that they might not have been aware that what they were doing were against the forum rules (many many people don't bother reading the FAQ's I imagine).
But I've also been kinda rude at times to some of the more annoying newbie questions and I think ElSapo's post is a good reminded that we were all beginners once.

I remember asking all about screen-resolution (what does 1600x1200 mean??) and how to set up 2 monitors, etc etc. A lot of it is common-knowledge to me now...but back in the day it was as confusing as whether to fold my 66 on board of 3467 for 2 bets.
(that was the first hand I posted in SS forum...I got called a "damn retard" for making such a weak-tight fold with so many outs even though the pot was small...after I folded, the river brought a 6 and I 'would have' made quads).
Old 06-27-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You know, rudeness has and always will be a part of any internet message board. Theres no way to stop it.

Best to just see it for what it really is. It's not a big deal at all once you accept it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm...lemme see here...

"You know, racism has and always will be a part of America. There's no way to stop it.

Best to just see it for what it really is. It's not a big deal at all once you accept it."

Sounds funny, don't it?

(Was that too rude?)
Old 06-27-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, you can't really expect many zoo regulars to respond to "how do I open multiple party accounts" threads in a particularly cheerful way after seeing 3 of them a day. I also think that frequently, it's not a matter of being a jerk, but just that a lot regulars don't feel like spending time and formulating a response that is particularly elegant since they've already said it multiple times.

For example, I frequent the micro/SS limit and HUSH forums. A lot of times I'm pretty blunt with my responses "Flop raise sucks" and might follow with a "you probably shouldn't be playing X/Y limit (if you are making this mistake)". I'm not trying to be an ass -- it's just that I've said it so many times I don't really feel I need to spend extra time to write it in a way that "sounds better". They want advice, and I give it to them short and sweet -- I don't think they should take offense.

[/ QUOTE ]

So don't respond if you don't feel like spending time and formulating a response that is particularly elegant. Simple...
Old 06-27-2005, 03:26 PM

Random thoughts:

* The first response to a newbie post often sets the tone of the whole thread. A polite, helpful reply keeps the jerks at bay, while a rude response results in piling on.

* We need some level of civility to have meaningful discussion.

* The additional moderators are doing a good job controlling the nastier stuff, though I wouldn't mind seeing them get a little more aggressive.

* In >1100 posts, I don't recall anyone being particularly rude to me, even though I may have deserved it a time or two. (Go ahead, make my day! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )
Old 06-27-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

* In >1100 posts, I don't recall anyone being particularly rude to me, even though I may have deserved it a time or two. (Go ahead, make my day! [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] )

[/ QUOTE ]

You sir, have poopy pants!
Old 06-27-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I also think that frequently, it's not a matter of being a jerk, but just that a lot regulars don't feel like spending time and formulating a response that is particularly elegant since they've already said it multiple times.

[/ QUOTE ]

If responding to every duplicate post that pisses you off, and doing so insultingly without provocation just because you don't like the topic, isn't the definition of being a jerk--then I need to get a new dictionary.

If you don't like the stupid topic, stay away from the stupid thread. Giving people the answer to what they're asking is just as easy as telling them this has already been asked fifteen times.