Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-2005, 03:41 AM

Default Re: Ok, I am CERTAIN this hand is obvious...

[ QUOTE ]

1) People at low buy-ins are idiots. Don't expect them to suddenly get smart on you and fold when they should.

2) Because they are idiots, FPS stuff like this is completely unnecessary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is true.

I've seen it countless times at the 20's, villain limps or miniraises, someone pushes, villain calls with some marginal hand. I used to think 'why did'nt he just push?' but I don't waste my time trying to figure out why anymore.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:17 AM

Yeah, I never get suprised by what I get called by when I push their small raise. Q,8 a couple times, All sorts of Kings, Any Ace. I dont see too many pairs here except last game I remember seeing 99. I just dont make plays like that with 2,8 or some crap. Id have to have some good reads and itd probally be a higher buy in.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:23 AM

I've seen calls with crap like Q-10 offsuit from Villain in these spots. Usually to me with AK, or something, thinking surely he'll fold? Then he goes to spike a ten. That's at the $33's so god knows what their calling range is here.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
i dont think theres any way this play can be right.

[/ QUOTE ]

really?

I think it's right against most good opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

I'm starting to think that's what the logic should be here. I'm just tired of folding my way ITM... or having my AQ get sucked out on on the bubble, or being forced to push garbage with 5x-8x BB from EP...
Old 08-15-2005, 06:39 AM

This isn't the right attitude, come on man you're better than that.

FWIW, I fold here, pushing isn't awful, but I would really prefer to have him more covered, because I think he's calling too much to make it profitable otherwise.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This isn't the right attitude, come on man you're better than that.

FWIW, I fold here, pushing isn't awful, but I would really prefer to have him more covered, because I think he's calling too much to make it profitable otherwise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a conversation with Adanthar about this. I really start to feel the pressure of the blinds when I try to wait for a real hand, and if I don't get one (and then win the showdown!) by 200/400 I'm basically in serious trouble.

Is this game just too low buyin to accumulate chips in ways other than playing pure ABC?
Old 08-15-2005, 07:03 AM

I don't panic. If the cards don't fall they don't fall. I think you're risking too much here for too little. Without a rock-solid read it's FPS I think.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't panic. If the cards don't fall they don't fall. I think you're risking too much here for too little. Without a rock-solid read it's FPS I think.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's so much about waiting for good cards, but rather waiting for a good opportunity to steal or re-steal. In the low limit games, I'd only try what you did if I knew the villain were a good player (ie. capable of folding in such a situation). Many of the low-limit villains can't fold a hand once they've raised or shown any sign of strength. Keep that in mind before stealing or re-stealing.

I'd fold and get ready to steal at the next possible opportunity.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:02 AM

I agree with Tigerite here, the risk is to wager your tournament, and people have already discussed why at low buy ins you might well be called, and the reward (assuming stars pays .5/.3/.2) isn't that great since:

- the move does no increase your chances to be first by much, with such a chip leader on the bubble
- the money prize between third and second isn't as big as between 3rd and 4th!

If you had a bit more (or were the chip leader), covering the raiser by enough to survive in case of failure, and if it was a higher buy in, thus increasing your fold equity (good players usually push if they are ready to go all in in the bubble because they know fold equity is more important than a showdown as a slight favorite), then the move would seem better.

Good idea, but wrong spot, it's one of these "get ITM first then pooosh" case I think.
Old 08-15-2005, 09:11 AM

I don't like it. I think you muck because you don't need to run a race. If its any other hand you're dominated. If its 99+, you're going to cry =[

He could be min-raising to switch it up too.