Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2005, 04:32 AM

Default Re: Commerce gonna be nuts this weekend??

I might check this game out. Last time I went to Commerce I played 4/8, and while I started out good, I lost a few large pots with some premium hands and swung down to my original buy in. The LAGiness was a little too much for me and I went back to 2/4. Didn't know they had 6/12.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like this advice. If you're beating 1/2, then you can most likely beat whatever live game your bankroll can handle. Sit down at 4/8 for an hour or so to get over the shakes (I guarantee your fingers will tremble the first time you get a big hand), figure out the little things that annoy B&M regulars (don't act out of turn, etc...), and convice yourself that live play really is as beatable as you've been hearing. After an hour or so of 4/8, you'll probably be ready to move up to 6-12 or 9-18 without too much trouble.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good advice. I would actually recommend playing an hour of $2/$4, just to get the feel and pace of the game. The pots at $4/$8 and up can be intimidating to someone used to $1/$2 online, so I think getting your feet wet would help. But good shite those players are awful. I was up $1500 the first three times I played the Commerce 4/8 and 6/12, and it wasn't the hottest run of cards I've had.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:48 AM

Default Re: OPTIMAL STRATEGY used at commerce

[ QUOTE ]
OH yeah...3-6 at commerce is -ev...you will have idiots chasing 44 to the river and catching trips...

[/ QUOTE ]
Ugh.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OH yeah...3-6 at commerce is -ev...you will have idiots chasing 44 to the river and catching trips

[/ QUOTE ]

whats it like being a super-donkey?
Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 PM

Yeah commerce is amazing. Don't get there later than 9pm Fri or Sat night or you will have problems finding parking.

However, winning in a single not is not only not a guarantee, its very possible to drop a ton of money. I don't even play any limit at Commerce unless I have enough to drop 5 racks. It doesn't mean I go that deep every time, but if you get in a wild game, there is a ton of money you can win. But you can also lose if you run bad. I've won more than 5 racks at least 10 times when I used to play $3-6, but I've also lost 3-5 racks on a few occasions too. Nothing you can do if you hit huge hands like sets and flushes and keep getting outdrawn.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look for older korean male or female.
Wait until Korean M/F go on TILT.
Candy from a baby.

OH yeah...3-6 at commerce is -ev...you will have idiots chasing 44 to the river and catching trips... I would play 4-8...but if you want good limit games in so cal try pechanga...KILL POTS!

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't forget the times 44 doesn't catch and you win with AK and a King on the flop. I gotta remind myself of that. Don't bluff calling stations, but you can value bet with top pair all day long.
Old 09-02-2005, 02:51 PM

I've played a lot of the California cardrooms and wanted to add a few bits of advice:

- 25BB is probably buying in short. I'd budget 35BB. In these games 4-6 people see every flop and they all chase. You will get sucked out on a lot. This means the game is very +EV, but very high volatilty. You need more buy-in to ride out the variance.

- I don't know how your online game plays, but in these cardrooms you have to play a lot of drawing hands (5-6 through 9-10 suited, maybe some one gapers like J-9 suited, and all the pocket pairs). If you try to stick to a purely tight-agressive top 15 starting hands type of game, you're going to risk running really badly.

- Good luck!
Old 09-02-2005, 02:51 PM

I was up $1500 the first three times I played the Commerce 4/8 and 6/12, and it wasn't the hottest run of cards I've had.
Not to say you didn't play well, but I think you may be giving off the wrong impression to the B&M newbies. Most of the regular players are poor in skill, but they don't just hand you their wallets, you have to earn it. These numbers, however feasible, come only once in a while, if that.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:16 PM

Thanks, this is all good info. I'm pretty sure my buddy and I are going there Saturday night. I'll be the big guy with a goattee (hopefully winning).

It sounds like the play is similar to an aggressive .50/1GBP table at Crypto. Those games have lots of players seeing the flop, lots of calling stations, but you can defenitely get sucked out on.

You guys have given some good info, appreciate it.
Old 09-02-2005, 05:32 PM

Heh,

once you see how donk filled $3-6 and 4-8 are, head over to $9-18 and $15-30(the raised area in the middle of the lo limit and no limit games) and then head over to the $20-40 and $30-60.

It's possible that you would not know they were different level games if they did not use different color chips [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]