Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 12:14 PM

Default Re: (22) How not to play AQ

[ QUOTE ]
UTG+2 started the hand with 800 and it appears to be 3rd hand of the sng. Tough to get reads in this situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oops, you're right. From the comments below I had gotten the impression that it was UTG that raises. I should have looked more carefully. Thanks.

By the way, sometimes two hands are all you need. Seriously. If in the first two hands you see someone raise twice and show down KTs one of those times, you've got a read on that guy. And if you think you don't see people like that at the 22s, you need to watch some of your hands in the replayer [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].
Old 11-17-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would call the flop and raise any non-ace turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're the only person I know that can not play poker and still be a LAG.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've got AQs in position, I think calling preflop is totally fine

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you so far.

[ QUOTE ]
I would not raise this flop at all, because you will almost never get a better hand to fold, and you in fact don't get a lot of worse hands to fold either.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not so sure I'd go along with this. I think that there is all kinds of hands that he will fold to reraise. Particularly pocket pairs that didn't make a set, and all sorts of bizarre crap like K9s and Ax that pop up in $22 in the early stages.

[ QUOTE ]
It's important to realize that you don't want worse hands calling you here, because they have the chance to catch a card to beat you, and also have the opportunity to bluff and make you fold the best hand. This should be obvious that it's very bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with you again, with the exception that you do want weaker aces that will bet and call bets when an A falls. And yes, weaker aces do raise like that at the $22s. In addition, this comment seems to contradict what you say below, where you talk about the value of extracting chips from weaker aces.

[ QUOTE ]
I would call the flop and raise any non-ace turn. Most of the time he has air so you win it right there. If I turn an ace and he bets out, I don't raise because I don't want to scare him off. When he raises preflop and CBs the flop, then bets when an ace turns, he's telling you he's not scared of the ace - in fact he's telling you he has it (which may or may not be true). If you raise him, that says, "Well that's nice and all, but I don't really care." Just call his turn bet, because you don't want to scare off a weaker ace or a PP. If he bets the river, just call because he will rarely call a raise with a worse hand, as your river raises exposes the strength of your hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, I would never flat call the flop although I do agree with your logic the rest of the way given that you've called the flop. I think if you call the flop you are essentially calling for the value of later extracting chips from a weaker ace in the event that he has a weaker ace PLUS the value of shoving him off a bluff on the turn if he checks. That seems fine to me. Personally I would most often fold the flop without reads. If I felt that the opponent had a very loose preflop range I would raise because I find that many of the loose early stage players at the $22 will give up their aggression when they face meaningful resistance.

I think that I see how your line would turn a profit, but it isn't how I would react. I will need to reevaluate. Thanks for the well-thought out input.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:37 PM

I am sure it has already been said, but it is worth repeating:

fold preflop