Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 08:06 PM

Default Re: Asking father for bankroll

[ QUOTE ]
No no no no no... I do not bust my bankroll after I get over the first hump(playing 10/1 tournaments with 50.00 or 100.00)

I always cash my bankroll out after a while to cushion my bank account.

The thing is when I have built my bankroll in the past I haven’t kept stats which is a problem.

PS: I am 18. My dad currently takes care of my $ which means I do not have 1650 in my bank account right now. I have invested about 20,000 in stocks(from poker) in the past year and want to settle down on a certain buy-in.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're 18, you've won $20k over the last 9 months, and you're asking us for advice because your dad won't give you $100 for a buyin? Something does not compute.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:10 PM

Um, stop cashing out everything except 2 buyins.
Old 03-17-2005, 08:20 PM

Zebra, from what I understand you don't actually have a poker bank roll. For me a poker bank roll is money that is dedicated to the game and only the game. i don't touch it for stock. I don't touch it for expenses. I don't touch it for rent. If I take it out and spend it on a vacation or buy a new Video game it's no longer part of my poker bank roll. How on Earth can your dad not trust you to take care of a bank roll of 500 bucks when you earned 20k?
Old 03-17-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No no no no no... I do not bust my bankroll after I get over the first hump(playing 10/1 tournaments with 50.00 or 100.00)

[/ QUOTE ]

I know this will sound too conservative to you, but PLEASE consider playing $5+.50 tournaments while your roll is under $111.

Just because it's small stakes DOES NOT MEAN YOU WILL BE IMMUNE TO VARIANCE!
Old 03-17-2005, 08:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, stop cashing out everything except 2 buyins.

[/ QUOTE ]

good idea.

if it's your dad who knows your account password and takes the money out for you then start an account at a different site....play freerolls if you have to in oder to build a roll.

If your dad won't let you have your money then what exactly do you expect to be told here that will help you.

This is not a poker-issue...it's a family issue and a matter of your independence.

p.s. = not playing for 5 straight days is hardly an accomplishment. the fact that you said this is kind of troubling.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
p.s. = not playing for 5 straight days is hardly an accomplishment. the fact that you said this is kind of troubling.

[/ QUOTE ]
Apparently the OP is ignoring this part of the advice we are giving him. I'd be worried, but I really don't care.
Old 03-17-2005, 09:09 PM

Could you dad bankroll me?

I am a winning NL player.

I am willing to take a crack at the $25/$50 NL at UB for him.

He can have %50 of winnings.

Let me know

Matt.
Old 03-18-2005, 06:58 AM

As far as I know, an 18-year-old in Texas is a grown man just like in the rest of the continental United States. Handle your business and get Pops out of your account.

SpaceAce
Old 03-18-2005, 07:00 AM

why not leave like 30 buyins for the 50 sng game...uhhh, I just saw you in the 200s the other day?????
Old 03-18-2005, 09:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I always cash my bankroll out after a while to cushion my bank account.

[/ QUOTE ]

So if I'm reading your post correctly, you have established a pattern of being a winning player. However, you can only cash out and not redeposit due to your dad. Furthermore, you have a tendency during cashout to leave such a small amount of money ($50) that you put yourself at frequent risk of running your balance to zero due to variance.

As others have mentioned, the obvious solution (have you noticed I like obvious answers?) is to learn how much money is necessary to keep in your account to make the risk of ruin negligible at the stakes you play. Then only cash out funds in excess of that amount. This means you will never have to redeposit, and you won't run into the problem of "getting permission" from your dad.

If you furthermore would like to prove to your dad (for self-satisfaction or other reasons) that you are in fact a winning player, just get Pokertracker and show him the figures. For someone who reports 20K worth of earnings last year, $55 for PT is a no-brainer investment.