Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-02-2005, 07:18 AM

Default Re: What is your most reliable tell?

I don't play brick & mortar anymore, but a very reliable one was when my opponent scrunched around in his seat and leaned forward, he usually had a very strong hand.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
One of the most reliable for my although I don't see it often enough to be much use is when a guy is pickin his nose his hand is usually very weak [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

...you gotta be careful here...if he eats it, he's got a monster...

ERBY [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 10:18 AM

I like the deep stare down for beginners, thats an easy tell that theyre weak or the lean back in the chair for when theyre strong...
Old 08-02-2005, 12:51 PM

Players checking their hole cards is usually pretty accurate, especially on suited boards, but it can go the other way too if an opponent is trying to look weak. Also I like to look at the players after the flop. Depending on the player, people usually look away pretty fast if they have a hand, and stare at the flop when they have a weak hand. I think they're double checking to see if they have any straight or flush possibilities.
Old 08-02-2005, 01:05 PM

i see this all the time in my home game
Old 08-02-2005, 05:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't play brick & mortar anymore, but a very reliable one was when my opponent scrunched around in his seat and leaned forward, he usually had a very strong hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

I watch for breathing from pros. They often give the strength of their hands away from the way they breathe.

From recreational players, new players I watch more for the way they bet their chips (nicely stacked, or thrown out in a mess). This is a good tell to get the strength of their hand.

Lawrence
Old 08-02-2005, 07:09 PM

The funniest tell I've ever seen in my life was when I was playing one day and the hand got heads up. A very solid player who's in our regular game and a complete donk who is still kinda new to poker.

The river card fell and the donk looked at his hand and checked it again to make sure and then all of a sudden went "what tha..!" and completely fell backwards on his chair and landed on the floor. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] LOL!!! the whole table went completely crazy.

The other player looked at his hand and thought about it for a LONG time but had to call to see what he had. Turned out the donk hit his inside gut card for a royal flush. LOL. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-02-2005, 07:37 PM

One tell that I find very reliable is if a player is singing, humming, whistling, or anything of that nature, they are probably bluffing. I've heard even Jack Strauss had this tell. Also, just watching a person's facial expressions for either happiness or disappointment is generally a good tell among casual players. Looking at or moving towards chips indicates strength, but other times it may only indicate a bluff coming up. Moving to fold cards will mean weakness from a bad player, but could be an act if a good player is doing it. Shaking hands is reliable because it's an involunary act.
Old 08-02-2005, 10:20 PM

The retiree crowd has a favorite:

Flop: Ah Ad Ac
Retiree: "Who's got the ace?" <---HAS THE ACE

Flop: 4c 4h 6x Turn: 4d
Retiree: "Someone's got that four!" <---HAS THE FOUR

-ZEN
Old 08-03-2005, 12:53 AM

when they go to bet real fast then catch themselves and tryt o check real fast thinking oyu didn't see them. I know this is basicaly only with fish but it is my favorite.

Jack