Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: Do you get away from THIS hand?

in brunson's example two pair or a big draw are unlikely cards for the limpers to have, whereas in this hand KT is a reasonable hand for your opponent to have.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:17 PM

In Brunson's days, he was much deeper stacked than this. Has PR corrected its blinds yet? Even if they haven't, losing $500 here is not terrible. If you had a 5k stack, it would be another story.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:42 PM

Excellent comment. Brunson may have been a great player but his book is not well written (IMHO). Or perhaps its written for another time and a different game, or perhaps I'm not astute enough to fully comprehend all the subtleties. It's very easy to misconstrue or mis-apply his writings to todays online game.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:37 PM

I would push on his flop raise. He likes his hand and I think I am best. Maybe he doesnt call, but Im not a fan of the board.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:12 AM

Hi NC,

[ QUOTE ]
Do you get away from THIS hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

What? With $500 to begin with? No. Check-raise the turn all-in. As it stands, you should re-min-raise or call, and then put it all in at the next opportunity (barring another T). So he got you--big deal. Nobody who's good is getting away from this with your stack (nor should they).
Old 06-03-2005, 01:13 AM

Hi AZK,

LOL. Sorry, my friend, I'm gonna have to call "bullshit" on this one. Don't fold this hand online.
Old 06-03-2005, 01:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would push on his flop raise. He likes his hand and I think I am best. Maybe he doesnt call, but Im not a fan of the board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pushing is too large a raise. You push when he comes over the top the second time, not the first.
Old 06-03-2005, 05:20 AM

The example brunson gives talks of a 2 4 J flop in a limped pot. Which is completely different from a K T 5 flop in a limped pot. Here bottom set is gold, unless people dont raise TT pf anymore, and Since OP said villain would raise KK in EP rather than LRR, I am going all the way with this hand.
Old 06-03-2005, 10:50 AM

You are quite right. Since I would normally bring TT in for a preflop raise I would tend to think in this case that a set on T's is not very likely. The more I think about this hand the more I think this would be Brunson's approach. Send out "the children", which is less than a pot sized (normal) bet. When you get some action you're ready to give some action. So you put villain on what? K-T or possibly flush draw? Since you've put villain on possible K-T how are you going to the felt when the board pairs the K?

Actually Brunson says go with your instincts and don't change your mind. If you put villain on a flush draw then the K is a scare card and you can't get away.

Actually easy to play Monday morning QB. What would I have done at the time? Probably screwed the whole thing up.