Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: PP 1/2 SH vs 3/6 SH

[ QUOTE ]
Seriously, at 3/6 I was beating TAG's handily, but getting destroyed by LAGs. Im not really sure what this means.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all likelihood it means you don't know how to call. You're doing fit or fold too much.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:53 PM

7k is absolutely irrelevant amount of hands shorthanded. I was over 10BB/100 winrate over 5k at 1/2. It's meaningless. 3/6 is much tougher than 1/2. The good TAG's are far superior to the 1/2 tags. 3/6 SH is where you will start to see a lot of good players. Play 20-30k at 1/2 then come back and post about moving up. You need to be sure its not just a run of hot cards that gave you a big ego at 1/2.
Old 12-04-2005, 05:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I moved to the 3/6 games at Party I found them easier than 1/2. I said EASIER not more profitable! And that was mainly b/c ppl can fold there and you have plenty of weak and most important predictable TAGs. If you have the BR move there immediately. You won't achieve a 1/2 winrate but you are going to learn a lot more at 3/6

[/ QUOTE ]

I can vouch for this. Easier to run people over and also easier to put people on hands. More poker involved and less value-bet-good-hands-die-of-boredom.

What pissed me off about 1/2 was the fact that the blinds never, ever folded to open cutoff or button raises. People do that more in 3/6.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:04 PM

Your are all correct, yes I know my sample size it is small. However it is just obvious to me that the same situation at this level pan out much differently than at 1/2 and hence the LAG's are laying it on me. It very well may be true that I am running hot at 1/2, in fact I know I am.

This was just an experiment to see where I stand, and I am trying to figure out wholes in my game to work on until it truly is time for me to move up.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:13 PM

The play at 3/6 is much more aggressive preflop. Fortunately though, much of it is stupid aggression... players raising Axo (and worse) from the first two seats, etc. The play is generally tighter, although still too loose in many cases. So basically you're not going to see people openlimping with 42o on the button and calling down with bottom pair as much as you see in 1/2. But, you do still get coldcalled preflop by dominated trash and baby suited trash quite frequently. Getting donkbet on the flop at 1/2 would often be any pair, while at 3/6 I've found it's usually TPNK (which they won't fold no matter what you do.) Once you play a few thousand hands you can get pretty good at hand reading against unknowns... flop raises usually aren't hands better than top pair, turn raises are usually hands better than top pair, etc.

At 1/2 every table was profitable... at 3/6 there are players that I don't feel I have an edge against, and sometimes I end up at tables where I don't see anyone making many significant mistakes, and I have to leave (this is more likely to occur when the game is shorthanded... usually a couple fish go bust, leaving me with a couple solid players).
Old 12-04-2005, 06:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[What pissed me off about 1/2 was the fact that the blinds never, ever folded to open cutoff or button raises. People do that more in 3/6.

[/ QUOTE ]

This doesn't piss me off, and it shouldn't piss you off. Do you see why?

As far as swings, I have 80-100 BB up and down swings nearly every 1000 hands, so don't worry about it. As long as the long-term trend has a positive slope, you are in good shape.

Think about it, you can put in 10-15 BB in a pot with a monster hand, but sometimes you get outdrawn on. Lose a few of these pots in a row, and you're down 50 BB. Win a few in a row and you're up 100 BB. If you combine this with dry and hot stretches of starting hands, 100 BB swings are easy to achieve.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:25 PM

FWIW, I'm starting to split my time between Stars 2/4 and Stars 3/6 and find that the only difference is that the average VP$IP is something like 5% smaller on most tables. You can still find plenty of players above 50-60, though. I haven't yet seen a dramatic change in going up to a new limit, just gradual tightening and more selective aggression.
Old 12-04-2005, 07:31 PM

It now appears that my brief journey into 3/6 has messed up my game at the 1/2 level. It has turned me into being quite aggressive, abit more than I use to be. This in turn is kicking my ass. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! I need a beer.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It now appears that my brief journey into 3/6 has messed up my game at the 1/2 level. It has turned me into being quite aggressive, abit more than I use to be. This in turn is kicking my ass. Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaar! I need a beer.

[/ QUOTE ]

I encountered the opposite when I jumped from ABS 1/2 to PP 3/6 - I was so used to fighting off tables of TAs that I completely forgot how to fish lol
Old 12-04-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This doesn't piss me off, and it shouldn't piss you off. Do you see why?

[/ QUOTE ]

The expectation of playing out most of your stealing hands is lower than just stealing the blinds outright. Sure, you don't want the blinds to fold when you raise AA.. but when you raise K7s, you definitely want them to fold.

Care to back up your argument, or are you just going to throw out another condescending one liner?