Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2004, 11:57 PM

Default Re: computer tech help needed(off topic)

Something is wrong with your photoshop settings then.

I'll second that. Photoshop 7.0 doesn't use that much memory on my system.

Simon
Old 01-26-2004, 04:26 AM

I am not sure if this even has anything to do with it because I run win xp but I am having the same type of problem. the thing running in the background eating my cpu is svchost.exe. From what I have figured out so far svchost.exe is a generic thing that runs dll files so it is most likely something else running that causes this to run. I have not fixed it yet but right now I am scanning the system with pest patrol to check for spyware and such. I will update this if I actually figure out what caused it but if it is like most things I get it fixed, don't know how and really don't care as long as it works lol
Old 01-26-2004, 05:01 AM

DO NOT mess with svchost.exe-its one of those services you do not want to stop randomly under the service tab on any version of Windows 2000 or XP.. if you do you are in deep dodo and its hard to start up again if you dont know what you are doing-Svchost.exe

[ QUOTE ]
The Svchost.exe file is located in the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. Multiple instances of Svchost.exe can run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can run, depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and easier debugging.

[/ QUOTE ]
.. you can have mutltiple svc.host's stated when you open up various internet connections/...

it's really a key service for setting up internet connections

all I know is that I have messed with it and manually stopped and you dont want to do that unlike alot of services which you can stop or just leave on automatic that arent neccessary-like closed verison of major programs like Adobe Acrobat will stay open and use memory even after u close out the program...