Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2004, 01:33 PM

Default Re: It\'s clear the conservatives here have little or no combat experie

I am listed as not physically able to serve since I'm deaf in my right ear from a cholesteatoma that I got when I was 10. Now, I'm one of the first generations of my family not to serve in one of the armed forces. Unfortunately, someone forgot to mention to the tumor that I was an upper-middle class white male conservative, otherwise it would've happened to someone I was holding down.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:28 PM

Default Re: IF YOU SUPPORT THE WAR

I tried to enlist in September of 2001. They told me I was too old.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:34 PM

then send yourself or someone you love.

This is just plain stupid. I support the war, and I'm too old to serve. My loved ones are each free individuals and are capable of making their own decisions. If one of them chooses to go, he/she has my support. If not, I respect that choice as well.

Last I checked we have a voluntary military service. Everybody who is in the war is there because they chose to be in the service. Nobody is being sent to fight in this war against his or her will. When you join, you accept the terms.

If they try to re-institute the draft, I'll be the first one out there on the picket lines.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
then send yourself or someone you love.

This is just plain stupid. I support the war, and I'm too old to serve. My loved ones are each free individuals and are capable of making their own decisions. If one of them chooses to go, he/she has my support. If not, I respect that choice as well.

Last I checked we have a voluntary military service. Everybody who is in the war is there because they chose to be in the service. Nobody is being sent to fight in this war against his or her will. When you join, you accept the terms.

If they try to re-institute the draft, I'll be the first one out there on the picket lines.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the insult.

If its so stupid, then why do you have such a hard time showing how stupid it is? If its so stupid, why do you say, I tried but I was too old?

I don't have any kids, but I can say that if I thought our country was in danger and my son asked "dad, should I go and fight?" My answer would be "yes, I think its your duty to go and protect your country." If I didn't support the war, I would say "no, we shouldn't be fighting."

So, you think the statement is stupid because you can't legally send someone you love? Well that's funny, I think you are nit-picking simpleton who can't understand the gist of the statement.

Obbiously a lot of Americans tried to sign up on 9/11 because we had a well defined enemy. Is this the case with Iraq? How many supporters of the war are signing up to go over there?
Old 08-30-2004, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried to enlist in September of 2001. They told me I was too old.

[/ QUOTE ]

The airforce told me I was too tall. That's no joke.
Old 08-30-2004, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the insult.

I said your statement was stupid, not you.

If its so stupid, why do you say, I tried but I was too old?

Because it is true.

I can say that if I thought our country was in danger and my son asked "dad, should I go and fight?" My answer would be "yes, I think its your duty to go and protect your country." If I didn't support the war, I would say "no, we shouldn't be fighting."

That sounds reasonable, but it would be his decision, and I'd stress that since it would be his life he was risking, he would have to make that choice himself.

I think you are nit-picking simpleton who can't understand the gist of the statement.

*shrug* I'll let this go. You misinterpreted my "this is just plain stupid" comment as ad hominem, which it was not, thus you just thought you were responding in kind. I trust now you understand that I was speaking of your words, not of you as a person.

How many supporters of the war are signing up to go over there?

I have no idea, but I am certain there are some. As I've said before, the minute any administration tries to draft soldiers, is the day I join the protests, even for a war I support.