Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2005, 01:18 PM

Default Re: moving down in limits

[ QUOTE ]
recent financial situations will be forcing me to move down in limits for the first time ever. i'm not sure i can handle it though. its really a huge blow to me and my ego and if i played i'm not sure i would be able to give it my 100%. sugggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Situation on a smaller scale. Last November I pissed away a $1100 bankroll in 2-3 nights of drinking and playing MTTs above my means.

I was down to $110 at one point in mid-December, and was playing .05/.10. I added $50 to my account and started whoring and quit playing tournies. I now have a roll of around $5,000 and am playing 5/10.

I am sure you play higher stakes, but the concept is the same. My suggestion is to go back to what you do best, and don't do anything else for a while.

Now that I have a decent roll, I occasionally allow myself to dabble at the micro-limits in things like PLO, Stud, and low buy-in MTTs; but only after I have my hands in for the week and not at levels that could stress my bankroll.
Old 03-22-2005, 02:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is poker the reason you are broke or did poker pay for outside expenses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be sure, but I have seen a few posts on how bad he has done in the last while.

One

Two
Old 03-22-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is poker the reason you are broke or did poker pay for outside expenses?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't be sure, but I have seen a few posts on how bad he has done in the last while.

One

Two

[/ QUOTE ]

Just went back and read these posts, plus a few others. At the risk of being flamed, is anyone else going to say that maybe he needs to evaluate his game?

I mean this looks like a very extensive downslide. I know the 15/30 game is swingy, but from his own posts it looks like this is beyond natural variance. Combine that with the posts, where he seems to play a lot of junk and have a loose style; is it not possible that the more astute group of players at 15/30 is punishing his style, where at lower levels his raw aggression was letting him get by cheap?
Old 03-22-2005, 04:29 PM

chris has major discipline problems with his game, and most of us who've been friends with him for a while have made it clear that he's making a lot of plays that are at best borderline.

When I say he should move down until he starts playing well, I mean playing well, not running well.